Let's All Go to the Movies

Its like you people don’t even realize The Ten Commandments is on TV right now.

e1ff60471a99dc34eedc050c48533f10.gif

King of the Monsters is far better than Godzilla vs. Kong. Skull Island is also better than GvK in my opinion. The stretches without the awesome monster brawls are far too long. Too much human plot (again) that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I think 50 percent of the dialogue is ADR. I also have no idea where either franchise goes from here, which kind of sucks.

Not enough Godzilla, versus, or Kong. 6/10
Rare time we disagree - found KOTM to be mediocre while GVK had plenty of vs all throughout. I hardly paid attention to the dialogue since the most important human was using sign language. Saw GVK in IMAX which made a huge difference since it had way more kaiju action sequences than KOTM. Also I think they've got plenty of material for at least 3+ movies. I would love to see the kaiju viewed under an unstoppable force of nature angle (a la Destroy All Monsters with a kaiju civil war) and would be pretty happy to get a future movie that has the audience rooting against humans.

Nomadland 6/10
This is a difficult film to review, in that it's essentially half-documentary. Conceptually interesting, with lovely landscape and lighting, I feel like the lead character was a little flat, and left national treasure Frances McDormand with little to work. She is always a pleasure, however, and this was no exception. The film felt longer than its runtime, which in this case was a good thing, a result of excellent pacing. The film's sometimes-sauntering pace did well to provide an analogy of the lifestyle it describes, but frankly I just wanted more. I usually can point to certain aspects, plotlines, or other mechanisms that are lacking in a film, but I have a hard time doing that with Nomadland. It just felt... thin.

Two more best pic noms to go.

Reading people on Twitter complaining about Mortal Kombat's 1h50m run-time, saying it won't allow for fleshing out all of the "interesting characters" and I'm afraid they are just too stupid to live.
Mortal Kombat fans so want this thing to create a cinematic universe ... it's hilarious.

The Father 8.5/10
Intriguing and devastating, this one is a winner for me. Anthony Hopkins is world-class from start to almost-finish and Olivia Coleman is damn-near as good. The script does a masterful job of presenting the narrative from two separate subjective points of view simultaneously, leading the viewer to a sometimes confusing sense of empathy towards both points of view. It's stuck with me today after viewing, and while I've certainly got my head wrapped around it, I feel there are definitely layers of detail, particularly in the set, that I did not pick up on. Also, the score was beautiful and completely on point throughout.
The third act could have used a bit more polish, for sure, but that doesn't keep this film from being the current front runner of the best pic noms, edging Minari.
Highly recommended.

Still to watch:
Nomadland
Sound of Metal
Trial of the Chicago 7

Finally saw this and agree with almost everything you said. The Father isn't the weepy Oscar bait I expected but rather a nightmarish depiction of the fractured mind with dementia. It's a fast-paced whirlwind that never lets you feel like you're on solid ground. Touching and devastating in equal measure.

I have to say that this kind of portrayal could have gotten out of hand quickly with a lesser actor but Anthony Hopkins gives his best performance in decades. He takes you with his character fumbling through his constant uncertainty. I know this is Chadwick Boseman's year, but if I had a ballot for this field of nominees, Hopkins would get my vote.

The Father - 9/10 - Second only to Nomadland if I had a vote.

Movies is back BB.

I went to the movies Saturday for a private screening (saw Field of Dreams for the first time in a long time). We did a private screening in December for my wife's birthday. The theatre was dead, we were practically the only ones there. This Saturday the theatre was jumping, regular old busy. Mostly utes, lots with masks under their noses.

I went to the movies Saturday for a private screening (saw Field of Dreams for the first time in a long time). We did a private screening in December for my wife's birthday. The theatre was dead, we were practically the only ones there. This Saturday the theatre was jumping, regular old busy. Mostly utes, lots with masks under their noses.
Yeah I wouldn’t go to the movies right now if I was not fully vaccinated. It was our first time in a year and we’re both weeks outta our 2nd shots (months for my wife). Alamo had really good distancing but they also allow eating without masks. Highway to the COVID zone if you’re unvaccinated.

A4F98B40-C527-4858-8F9E-CDDE16DE2599.jpeg

Date TBA but this is something I’ve been waiting for since I was a teenager. I have the HK DVD that I imported back in the day but the aspect ratio is fucked up. Hyped. We’ve only ever had the dubbed and cut “Legend of Drunken Master” here in the states.

From the Warner Archive so it’ll be an Amazon exclusive. Remastered from the print in 4K downsampled to Blu-ray (I’ll take it!!)

Last edited:
A4F98B40-C527-4858-8F9E-CDDE16DE2599.jpeg

Date TBA but this is something I’ve been waiting for since I was a teenager. I have the HK DVD that I imported back in the day but the aspect ratio is fucked up. Hyped. We’ve only ever had the dubbed and cut “Legend of Drunken Master” here in the states.

From the Warner Archive so it’ll be an Amazon exclusive. Remastered from the print in 4K downsampled to Blu-ray (I’ll take it!!)

Best Jackie Chan movie. I am glad that Legend of Drunken Master removed the final scene, though.

Back