Layin' Bricks: The LEGO Thread

I just hope they get more sets out soon as everything I've wanted to buy at sub $250 has been sold out everywhere for months.
I went to Target for the first time in several months today, in person. Went by the Lego aisle on my way out and it was pretty sad. I'd say it was only about 25% stocked, at best. My son has five sets he still hasn't built as he seems to be currently off of his Lego kick so I hadn't noticed the shortage. I ordered the haunted mansion set the day it went on sale and it was/is on back order until July 1st. I just assumed that was because of how cool it was.

And I'd buy the Home Alone house the second it was available if it gets made.

I’m not into LEGOs (or more accurately, I freakin’ love LEGOs but haven’t acquired any since the Technic 8094 “Control Centre” set I got for Christmas in 7th grade), but the Super Heroes SHIELD Helicarrier is kinda making me want to get into LEGOs.
That helicarrier is nice. BTW my kiddo built everything you sent. The control center is currently disassembled for troubleshooting. Pretty sure I'll have to replace some battery terminals before it works again.

That helicarrier is nice. BTW my kiddo built everything you sent. The control center is currently disassembled for troubleshooting. Pretty sure I'll have to replace some battery terminals before it works again.
Glad she enjoyed it! I built the CAD robot once, quickly got bored of it, then combined its pieces with a bunch of other Technic sets to built all kinda of other crazy stuff.

Sorry to hear about the control center...hopefully it won’t require too much work to get it working again.

Glad she enjoyed it! I built the CAD robot once, quickly got bored of it, then combined its pieces with a bunch of other Technic sets to built all kinda of other crazy stuff.

Sorry to hear about the control center...hopefully it won’t require too much work to get it working again.
Nice. We currently have the CAD built and awaiting it's control module. Don't worry about it needing work, I enjoy doing these types of simple electronic fixes. None of my switches survived from my sets growing up either so I'm in the process of tracking the parts down to fix a number of different sets. I'm using it as a teaching tool for the kiddo too so in a way I'm happy they needed a little effort. Thanks again!

The brick separator has to be one of the best lego innovations of all time. I never had one when I was a kid and didn’t even know they existed until one came with one of the sets my daughter got. I even scoffed at it with one of those old man “get off my lawn” comments upon seeing it. Well, I’ve been building a lot with my kids the last few weeks and fuck, that thing is a game changer.

The brick separator has to be one of the best lego innovations of all time. I never had one when I was a kid and didn’t even know they existed until one came with one of the sets my daughter got. I even scoffed at it with one of those old man “get off my lawn” comments upon seeing it. Well, I’ve been building a lot with my kids the last few weeks and fuck, that thing is a game changer.
It took me literally over a year from the first time I got one (thanks to this damned forum and my/kids love of Christmas) to realize how amazing it is. 2 years ago?

On another Lego note, just got my Haunted Mansion set delivered today. I put it in the garage without opening it both so my wife didn't suspect I spent $250, and so my kids didn't go crazy and thus alert the wife.

It took me literally over a year from the first time I got one (thanks to this damned forum and my/kids love of Christmas) to realize how amazing it is. 2 years ago?

On another Lego note, just got my Haunted Mansion set delivered today. I put it in the garage without opening it both so my wife didn't suspect I spent $250, and so my kids didn't go crazy and thus alert the wife.
Are you gonna assemble it on the down low in the garage?

And it’s even better now! One of the left here is one of mine from ~25 years ago. Note that it doesn’t have an axle pusher thing nor a wedge separator (really wish I had the wedge separator as a kid… lotta parts from my childhood with teeth marks on them because of that).

Screen Shot 2020-06-30 at 20.51.53.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-30 at 20.52.00.png

And it’s even better now! One of the left here is one of mine from ~25 years ago. Note that it doesn’t have an axle pusher thing nor a wedge separator (really wish I had the wedge separator as a kid… lotta parts from my childhood with teeth marks on them because of that).

In reference to the bolded, I have no idea what the technical terms is for this part is but I always call it the gear pusher. Funny I knew exactly what you were referencing.

In italics, all the feels on the teeth marks. I used my teeth and/or a butter knife.

Yes! The wedge separator would have been most key for me as well, so that I didn’t have to risk losing any fingers by trying to use a kitchen knife.

I've got a couple now... they seem to consistently come with the IDEAS sets.

1593626718682.png

I should be the core demo on this but I find their faces terrifying, lol.

Is it just me?