US - Midwest Kansas City Metro

We're going to KC on spring break this year. Drivable from Milwaukee. I saw Jerm post on the other site about Torn label, so we'll make a stop. Crane, Alma Mader and BKS also seem worth checking out.

Probably do Q39, Slaps, and Fiorella Jack's for bbq. Jones and Harp sound good, but not worth it with our timing. Will try and get to Brookside Poultry and Fox and Pearl also. We do doughnuts wherever we go and sounds like LaMar's is the place in KC.

Happy to share a my Google map or Google sheet with anyone if they want it. Be prepared for activities for 3 and 6 year olds.

We're going to KC on spring break this year. Drivable from Milwaukee. I saw Jerm post on the other site about Torn label, so we'll make a stop. Crane, Alma Mader and BKS also seem worth checking out.

Probably do Q39, Slaps, and Fiorella Jack's for bbq. Jones and Harp sound good, but not worth it with our timing. Will try and get to Brookside Poultry and Fox and Pearl also. We do doughnuts wherever we go and sounds like LaMar's is the place in KC.

Happy to share a my Google map or Google sheet with anyone if they want it. Be prepared for activities for 3 and 6 year olds.

don't overlook LC's Bar-B-Q. The best burnt ends I've ever had.

20200422_121012.jpg

Took Jerm 's advice on my trip down yesterday.

House Brew, a coffee stout. This is good work. Really expressive coffee flavor without a bitter, chalky, astringent taste you sometimes get from these. A tad thinner than it could be, but at the same time I pounded a few glasses of these without a second thought so perhaps they're on to something.

I also bought three 6 packs as part of a curbside pickup. Looking forward to tearing into them.

Thanks for the rec! Sure hope COVID doesn't kill em off.

Jerm

Staff member
20200422_121012.jpg

Took Jerm 's advice on my trip down yesterday.

House Brew, a coffee stout. This is good work. Really expressive coffee flavor without a bitter, chalky, astringent taste you sometimes get from these. A tad thinner than it could be, but at the same time I pounded a few glasses of these without a second thought so perhaps they're on to something.

I also bought three 6 packs as part of a curbside pickup. Looking forward to tearing into them.

Thanks for the rec! Sure hope COVID doesn't kill em off.

Awesome, so glad you made it and enjoyed it. I hope you get the chance to meet Rafi, the CEO of Torn Label, once things have "reopened". He's an old friend and a good dude!

I live in Kansas now. Commence craft beer rediscovery process. Gotta complete the puzzle:

Revolution (General Purpose Go-to) -> Torn Label
Off Color (Classy Innovative) -> ???
Pipeworks (Stupid Innovative) -> ???
Riverlands (Hazebois) -> ???
Dovetail (Classics) -> KC Bier Co
Goose Island (Macro/Ubiquitous) -> Boulevard

I live in Kansas now. Commence craft beer rediscovery process. Gotta complete the puzzle:

Riverlands (Hazebois) -> ???

Riverlands (Hazebois) -> BKS

I don't think the metro has truly innovative analogues like OC/Pipeworks. I don't think the market for it has developed. In the overall trajectory of beer culture, I think the whole place feels backshifted by a few years.

Coyote

I've had worse sprayed on my butthole
Breweries to add to the nice list:

Servaes is a very accessible hypewalez-type factory. They have a BA barleywine I absolutely loved and also a really solid Mexican chocolate type stout
Crane confirmed as good (one trip so far but pretty solid)
Stockyards has a great Mexican lager
Lawrence Beer Co out here is also not bad