Home Ownership

home appraisal came back at 30% higher than the appraisal when we bought the place 3 years ago

based on what i saw of the process it looks very made up. throw-spaghetti-at-the-wall assessment. not that i'm complaining. it net us an amazing refi rate so that's good, but the whole deal seems..... shammy?

It's just a rubber stamp for the lender.

If you wanted a real appraisal, you'd hire your own appraiser.

Our realtor just dropped off our closing gifts.

1599255535581.png

A super nice Pendelton blanket, a thermos to take coffee to the beach in the morning and the obligatory "champagne".

If anyone is hunting in Oregon or Washington I have a great realtor for you! Amy is is the shit.
Ooh a Pendleton branded Stanley. I love my Stanley. Even when other people have moved on to more modern coffee urns with more comvenient closures, I fucking swear by my Stanley. Fear puts coldbrew into it every day. I don’t technically need for it to be in there (it will be long gone before it warms up) but I just fucking love the utilitarian nature of the old air insulated travel mugs.

For outdoor speakers I wanted a solution before Sonos had one, so I bought some outdoor speakers on amazon, got the Sonos Bridge (which is designed to connect to a receiver) and set up my receiver's second zone to output to the outdoor speakers. I think I'd still go with that solution now vs having to think about charging the outdoor one.

I also have a sonos one outside that’s plug in and not wifi. They aren’t marketed as being able to do it, but mines been out on the patio for like 4 years or more. It is under cover, but does get wet with wild rain storms, gets covered in dust, pollen and all the elements and subject to excessive heat, cold, and constant humidity.

Im sure it’ll die this weekend after saying all that, but it’s been awesome. I also don’t buy outdoor TVs, for outdoors, because they don’t blow up like the outdoor market wants you to think they will.

The Redfin home value algorithm is super fucky. According to Redfin, on closing date I overpaid by a decent amount, and now it's telling me I have more in equity than I overpaid by. So an over 6-digit swing in the course of 2 weeks. Stupid. Zillow is probably more reliable.

The Redfin home value algorithm is super fucky. According to Redfin, on closing date I overpaid by a decent amount, and now it's telling me I have more in equity than I overpaid by. So an over 6-digit swing in the course of 2 weeks. Stupid. Zillow is probably more reliable.

I don’t think any of those two sites are worth a damn for an actual value. They imo are artificially high in many cases. For instance, Zillow is showing I have nearly 155k in equity, if they keep going I’ll get close to doubling my money that I paid for this shitbox.

7UgRJ73.jpg

All but 4 bags gone from that pallet. 1200 lbs of concrete mixed and poured. I am so fucking tired.

Bet it would have been more cost effective for a truck to show up.

but....

I agree with doing it and gaining experience. It’s about the journey sometimes, as much as we can bitch, it’s a lesson and comes cheaper.
Not even close! This was like $100 cheaper.

Plus scheduling the delivery for me would just be a nightmare, and I didn't know if I would have to stop partway through to help with a kid. If I were using several yards to pour a slam, then sure, but for <2? More hassle than it's worth, especially with the mixer.

Did some light work this weekend/last week

new storm doors
068024B4-BEE7-4891-BCA9-013CC1219426.jpeg
Don’t even remember what the back yard looked like, but I did snap this pic when I got started

661D8ECD-5F05-46A3-A5D5-A264812E0E7C.jpeg

ended like this:

8BC871E5-A1AB-434C-BB03-98AC5E32FE5A.jpeg

Need to get all these plants in now And replace the fences. Garage is being taken down to the studs and rebuilt in two weeks And then I might take a breather til spring...

but the deck does need to be redone

Does anyone here have AT&T Digital Life Security?

It appears the home was prewired with all the needed panels and cameras when it was built and it looks like it costs $39/month according to their website.

Worth a damn? Seems cheap enough and doesn't actually seem to require AT&T Uverse (which I despise).

Back