Healthy Habits

Here’s a place for those of us trying to build and/or maintain healthy habits to share our plans, talk about our progress, and pump each other up, in order to keep ourselves/each other accountable and motivated.

Doesn’t matter if you’re trying to lose weight, start an exercise regimen, quit smoking, read more books, drop less f-bombs in casual conversation, or kick your meth habit (though you should probably also work with some professionals for that last one), talk about it here and let us know how it’s going.

Almost two years ago, I decided it was time to get serious and lose some weight. Size XXL shirts and 40W pants were starting to get snug, my A1C was at pre-diabetes levels, my doctor was considering putting me on cholesterol meds, my sleep quality was terrible, and my wife said I snored like a poorly-maintained chainsaw.

So I decided to see how going low-carb would work…I gave up beer(!), sugar, pasta, bread, etc., decreased caloric intake, and started a weightlifting program that I actually enjoyed. It was weird, neither the die nor the exercise habit were at all difficult to establish…I just kinda decided I wanted to do this, told my wife my plan (she said, “that’s great, I’ll do it with you”), and I was off to the races. I figured I was just ready, mentally & physically.

A year later, I had lost 60 lbs, was down to size L shirts and 34W pants, A1C was “low-normal”, my doctor said he no longer felt cholesterol meds were necessary, and my wife reported that I’d stopped snoring altogether. I even took some breaks from the diet & exercise for holidays, my birthday, and a major vacation during that year, and was able to get back on the wagon just fine after. I had that shit on lock.

My goal was to fit into 32W pants for the first time since high school, and I was so close, so I went into 2019 determined to keep at it. And I did, for 6 months.

Then due to various work schedule changes and other assorted excuses, I took a break from the gym in July and haven’t gone back since. Then I went off the diet for Thanksgiving (just like I did in 2018), but this time I stayed off it until New Years Day, and even after that I’ve been struggling to stay on it.

It’s like the awesome willpower I had all through 2018 and the first half of 2019 disappeared, and now I’m constantly fighting the urge to eat whatever donuts or junkfood people bring into the office (I work for a European company…the tradition is that, when people visit from HQ, they bring tons and tons of delicious European chocolates and treats) and snacking at home. And I can’t “just have one”…once I do, some kind of psychological dam breaks and I end up stuffing my face.

So now here I am, all the 34W pants I bought starting to feel a kinda snug, bit of a muffintop showing in my size L shirts, trying to figure out what the hell changed and how I can get back on the horse.

I recently cancelled my gym membership, and decided to build a home gym in a spare room. So in the last 2 weeks, I added padded flooring, a rack/cage, and a bench to the room. The ease of working out at home, is fucking fantastic. I'm sore daily, and no longer need to "make time" for the gym. Meals are typically lean meats and veggies, and about a gallon of water a day.

I recently cancelled my gym membership, and decided to build a home gym in a spare room. So in the last 2 weeks, I added padded flooring, a rack/cage, and a bench to the room. The ease of working out at home, is fucking fantastic. I'm sore daily, and no longer need to "make time" for the gym. Meals are typically lean meats and veggies, and about a gallon of water a day.

I keep thinking this is what I should do. My company gives me $400 a year for a gym membership, i should check and see if I can use that towards buying a bench and some weights

I have just started going low carb because my A1C was borderline. I have been on it for about a month and am already down 10+ pounds, my pants feel loose, and I generally feel better. Going to keep it up.
That initial big weight loss when you’re a few weeks into low carb is so motivating. I remember it was like all of a sudden my pants were falling off, and I was super pumped to keep going.

Congrats on getting through that first month!

I’m only 2 weeks into this 8 week thing. My only plans were:
1) work out 5 times per week instead of 2
2) cut out weeknight beers
3) replace all snacks with whole fruit and veggies

so far, so good - I’m knocking on the door of 10 lbs in 12 days and wondering how far I can go in the 8 weeks and what I can hold onto after the contest is over.

one weird thing is - when going 2x per week,I’d feel good about motivating to work out -now that I’m going 5 times, I almost feel bad on the days I take off.

So I’ve been pretty healthy for many years; good exercise and healthy eating for the most part but not perfect. My real challenge is controlling my relationship with alcohol.

I gave up liquor in my late twenties because I would drink too much, switch to liquor, drink fast and thenit would all hit me and it would get ugly. So then I pretty much just drank a lot of beer and wine.

I’ve never been good at moderation. I’m a keep drinking until it’s bed time kind of person, regardless of when I started in the day. As I’ve gotten older and alcohol is socially acceptable, I’ve just drank too often. Not always getting black out but about once every couple months I’d get black out.

This past Saturday I was at a neighborhood dinner/night party and got shit canned on red wine. Like wine stained shirt, purple lips, swaying back and forth in a neighbors kitchen.

When I woke up Sunday, I had a different feeling than most hangovers. I had perfect clarity that at this point in my life I can’t moderately and responsibly drink alcohol anymore and I could see the problem getting worse. I realized that 99% of my problems (weight gain, spending, relationships, etc...) all stem from alcohol. So why not just eliminate the root cause? I’ve had this thought in my head that alcohol will not control me anymore and I’m going to be back in charge.

So, I haven’t had anything to drink since Saturday and have all intentions of stopping drinking completely. I’m not setting any limits, or deadlines or goals. I just said, fuck it I’m done. I’m 41 and have drank heavily for the past 26 years. It’s been a good run, but it’s not heading in a good direction and I’m done.

We’ll see how it goes. I’m not stressed or worried about it, which is a different mentality than I’ve had in the past. It’s almost like a switch flipped and said ‘time to stop, you’re done. ‘

So I’ve been pretty healthy for many years; good exercise and healthy eating for the most part but not perfect. My real challenge is controlling my relationship with alcohol.

I gave up liquor in my late twenties because I would drink too much, switch to liquor, drink fast and thenit would all hit me and it would get ugly. So then I pretty much just drank a lot of beer and wine.

I’ve never been good at moderation. I’m a keep drinking until it’s bed time kind of person, regardless of when I started in the day. As I’ve gotten older and alcohol is socially acceptable, I’ve just drank too often. Not always getting black out but about once every couple months I’d get black out.

This past Saturday I was at a neighborhood dinner/night party and got shit canned on red wine. Like wine stained shirt, purple lips, swaying back and forth in a neighbors kitchen.

When I woke up Sunday, I had a different feeling than most hangovers. I had perfect clarity that at this point in my life I can’t moderately and responsibly drink alcohol anymore and I could see the problem getting worse. I realized that 99% of my problems (weight gain, spending, relationships, etc...) all stem from alcohol. So why not just eliminate the root cause? I’ve had this thought in my head that alcohol will not control me anymore and I’m going to be back in charge.

So, I haven’t had anything to drink since Saturday and have all intentions of stopping drinking completely. I’m not setting any limits, or deadlines or goals. I just said, fuck it I’m done. I’m 41 and have drank heavily for the past 26 years. It’s been a good run, but it’s not heading in a good direction and I’m done.

We’ll see how it goes. I’m not stressed or worried about it, which is a different mentality than I’ve had in the past. It’s almost like a switch flipped and said ‘time to stop, you’re done. ‘
You can do it man, congratulations and keep it up.

Awesome that you had the self-awareness to recognize all this. Pulling for you, man.

Out of curiosity, have you had anyone along the way be like, “dude....”, or did everyone just have you pegged for a “fun party guy”, leaving you to figure out that you weren’t okay with it on your own?

Last edited:
In my thirties I pledged to get myself in a better position by time I’m 40.

In my forties I keep saying I have to get it done by 50.

I have 10 months to go. And shit is getting serious and for once I have to actually consider the fact I’m responsible for others now and really don’t want to be dead just yet.

I’m not fooling myself with like crazy specific goals and instead have just tried each day to take a positive step and build on them.

Haven’t had any hard drugs in 2020. Don’t plan to.

300 minutes a week on the Peloton. So far been keeping on pace.

Making sure I’m getting better overall nutrition. I’ve never been great at that. I’m not huge but I’m heavy and I like eating and eating like a king. So each day I have one healthy meal, soon to go to 2 per day. I won’t deny myself luxury of wagyu and such but with some more moderation.

etc etc I won’t bore you anymore just focusing on staying focused. If that makes sense.

I’m only 2 weeks into this 8 week thing. My only plans were:
1) work out 5 times per week instead of 2
2) cut out weeknight beers
3) replace all snacks with whole fruit and veggies

so far, so good - I’m knocking on the door of 10 lbs in 12 days and wondering how far I can go in the 8 weeks and what I can hold onto after the contest is over.

one weird thing is - when going 2x per week,I’d feel good about motivating to work out -now that I’m going 5 times, I almost feel bad on the days I take off.
10 lbs in 12 days is amazing! Have you done anything besides what you listed, like decreasing calories or cutting out anything else?

I’m looking for ideas to re-motivate myself...really don’t want to be the fat guy by the pool. I know I’m in a much better place than I was a couple years ago, but I feel like the fat guy by the pool lately.

Awesome that you had the self-awareness to recognize all this. Pulling for you, man.

Out of curiosity, have you had anyone along the way be like, “dude....”, or has everyone just pegged you for a “fun party guy”, leaving you to figure out that you weren’t okay with it on your own?

I was just the fun party guy that would occasionally have to much. For my close guy friends, I was just the guy that by the end of the night I was going to pass out.

I’m just the kind of person that once I start, I don’t stop.

10 lbs in 12 days is amazing! Have you done anything besides what you listed, like decreasing calories or cutting out anything else?

I’m looking for ideas to re-motivate myself...really don’t want to be the fat guy by the pool. I know I’m in a much better place than I was a couple years ago, but I feel like the fat guy by the pool lately.

8.5 lbs (knocking on the door)

I’d say the snack transition is some of the calorie reduction, and I’m not exaggerating, I would have a 12oz Rev BA can or 16oz BCBS bottle, or 2 smaller beers like an IPA and a pils or Afterthought bottle literally every night while making dinner, so that has to be like 4-500 calories right there, yes? I saw something going around the internets that you could estimate calories by something like 2.5xozxabv (3.0 for beers with a lot of residual sugar) - whether true or not, it served as a wake up call of sorts.

so...if I want to go back to a daily drink...does a neat bourbon save me anything? :)

In my thirties I pledged to get myself in a better position by time I’m 40.

In my forties I keep saying I have to get it done by 50.

I have 10 months to go. And shit is getting serious and for once I have to actually consider the fact I’m responsible for others now and really don’t want to be dead just yet.

I’m not fooling myself with like crazy specific goals and instead have just tried each day to take a positive step and build on them.

Haven’t had any hard drugs in 2020. Don’t plan to.

300 minutes a week on the Peloton. So far been keeping on pace.

Making sure I’m getting better overall nutrition. I’ve never been great at that. I’m not huge but I’m heavy and I like eating and eating like a king. So each day I have one healthy meal, soon to go to 2 per day. I won’t deny myself luxury of wagyu and such but with some more moderation.

etc etc I won’t bore you anymore just focusing on staying focused. If that makes sense.
I think that's the trick to it all. Setting yourself up with small reachable goals, so you don't get overwhelmed or frustrated.

I find making small lifestyle changes has really helped me stay healthier. I still have things I need to work on, and I will in time.

Im just going to assume that this is the DDT version of the “getting healthy thread” that was previously on TB. But this thread can be more all encompassing with more goals than just weightloss?

I wont bore anyone with redundant details as I think the last 4-6 years of my fatness to fitness journey are pretty well documented on the other site. But as a tl;dr summary, ive basically went from an almost 300lb mess with many health ailments to a fairly physically fit dude.

My goal for the next 2 years is to be in the best shape of my life when I hit 40 and dare I say have sixpack abs - All while still being an elite level beer consumer ;)

Team home gym reporting.

I have a titan T-3 power rack, adjustable bench and a free standing lat pull down cable system with high and low pulleys that I can do all my accessory work on.

Im desperately in need of more big plates. Been searching facebook marketplace the last couple months and had a couple deals fall through. I refuse to pay for brand new and wont go over 50 cents a pound. Im hoping the new year, new me bubble breaks soon and more things come available for sale so I can scoop up a couple more 45s.

I read all your other posts leading up to this one and it seemed like you were able to be successful when you got into a routine.

You killed it on the initial weightloss, what about finding a new goal such as strength/conditioning?

What type of exercise program were you doing before? Maybe try something new?

Back