Healthy Habits

Wow....this post was longer ago than I thought.

FINALLY made the next cool milestone....woke up this morning and weighed in at 189.2.

60 lbs down since 1/20/2020.

I could wrestle my high school self - my weight class was 189 (well, I'd have to run a bit before weigh in).

fxTf.gif
Totally cheating, it’s not official until I have a regular wake up weigh in across the threshold, but after an 11-mile run this morning, for the first time on this effort I cracked 180, checking in at 179.0. I’m sure after water and lunch I’m back on the other side, but hope to return officially soon.

Poking my head in to say if you derailed on healthy habits, its not too late to jump back on the wagon and doing so now is better than waiting until the new year.

We have started moving in to our new home and with such activities, I located a pair of pants, buried in my closet that I had stored away as a “one day your fat ass should fit back into these.” I think they were from the late 90’s.

Anyway...I think it was about 6 years ago when I got serious about changing my life around and used the water rower. I lost 40lbs and was around 230lbs. This was 4? years ago and I still could not fit into said pants. I knew I still had work to do.

Long story long, I easily put said pants on yesterday and couldnt fucking believe it. I could not fit into them when I weighed 230lbs but right now im 255 and I can fit in them.

It has been said a bunch of times but it rings louder than ever before for me right now that the number of the scale doesnt mean shit. Stay the course, keep grinding!

Poking my head in to say if you derailed on healthy habits, its not too late to jump back on the wagon and doing so now is better than waiting until the new year.

We have started moving in to our new home and with such activities, I located a pair of pants, buried in my closet that I had stored away as a “one day your fat ass should fit back into these.” I think they were from the late 90’s.

Anyway...I think it was about 6 years ago when I got serious about changing my life around and used the water rower. I lost 40lbs and was around 230lbs. This was 4? years ago and I still could not fit into said pants. I knew I still had work to do.

Long story long, I easily put said pants on yesterday and couldnt fucking believe it. I could not fit into them when I weighed 230lbs but right now im 255 and I can fit in them.

It has been said a bunch of times but it rings louder than ever before for me right now that the number of the scale doesnt mean shit. Stay the course, keep grinding!
I wish I wasn't demolishing my basement in 4 months, because a rower is super appealing to me and without my daily bike commute getting reliable exercise is really hard. I just feel like an idiot buying something I can't store for that time. We do have one at my office, maybe I can just borrow it...

guy is shaped like an inverted fucking triangle over here

well done

Honestly, I have no idea what I’m doing. I have never been in shape. I have no understanding of a good exercise plan. If anyone has a book or website, I’m open.

a lifelong dream is to do a pull-up. Never have.
ah. i don't know shit about shit either, but what worked for me to get in to running was the couch to 5k plan (http://www.c25k.com)

and i started just doing simple body weight exercises some time ago.

This is the Beginner Bodyweight Workout (3 Circuits):

• 20 Bodyweight squats.
  • 10 Push-ups.
  • 10 Walking lunges (each leg).
  • 10 Dumbbell rows (use a milk jug or other weight).
  • 15 Second Plank.
  • 30 Jumping jacks.

also, get yourself a doorway pull-up bar.

it'll take time to build up to a full pull up, but it will happen over time if you stick with the body weight exercises and try to do a pull up every other day for a while.

i've never been the type to throw weights around, or get serious about weightlifting and getting in serious, serious shape, but then i've always found that these sort of shock diets, intense workouts, etc. aren't long lasting for most people. it's better (imo) to build slowly with easy to accomplish goals and push forward until it becomes ingrained in what you do.

set aside specific times of day, days of the week, that work for you.

upside to running and body weight workouts are both are inexpensive and you can do them at home (well, outside for the running) and you don't need a gym membership. this way there also aren't obstacles to doing what you need to do. shitty weather won't stop you driving to the gym. you won't waste 30 minutes round trip getting there and back, etc. you don't have to wait for machines.

you just do what you do when you want. next thing you know 3 months have passed and you're clocking 5k's regularly, ripping off 40 push ups at a time, doing a pull up every day and telling your wife your entry in the Mr. Universe competition was accepted. the shtick possibilities for annoying your wife become endless at this point.

eta: i didn't start doing any of this shit until i was in my early 30s after basically devolving in to a trash pile for 15 years. had been that long since i'd done anything more than play pickup basketball a couple times per year. and i'd abused my body with booze, drugs and cigarettes... piled on the weight and thought i'd never, ever do anything other than keep getting fatter. running and exercise was way out of the picture for me until my closest friends were like "dude, you're going to die. we don't want you dead." and it hit me that i could do something about it.

am by no means a physical specimen, but am in the best shape of my life at 45. even if that shape is still somewhere between "not bad" and "a bit soft". working out makes me happy and it feels awesome.

i'm 1,000,000% in for you making this happen. you can do it.

Last edited:
I had a coworker who said something similar to me once, about working up to doing a pullup, despite being about my height and easily 20lbs or more lighter. Meanwhile I've never had issues doing at least a few. It's really strange how this biomechanical stuff works sometimes, I may be a fatass but I've always been pretty strong, so I've got that going for me I guess?

If you're looking for tips my wife really likes /r/bodyweightfitness. Just bodyweight stuff in general, you can get pretty far and do it mostly from your home.

ah. i don't know shit about shit either, but what worked for me to get in to running was the couch to 5k plan (http://www.c25k.com)

and i started just doing simple body weight exercises some time ago.

This is the Beginner Bodyweight Workout (3 Circuits):

• 20 Bodyweight squats.
  • 10 Push-ups.
  • 10 Walking lunges (each leg).
  • 10 Dumbbell rows (use a milk jug or other weight).
  • 15 Second Plank.
  • 30 Jumping jacks.

also, get yourself a doorway pull-up bar.

it'll take time to build up to a full pull up, but it will happen over time if you stick with the body weight exercises and try to do a pull up every other day for a while.

i've never been the type to throw weights around, or get serious about weightlifting and getting in serious, serious shape, but then i've always found that these sort of shock diets, intense workouts, etc. aren't long lasting for most people. it's better (imo) to build slowly with easy to accomplish goals and push forward until it becomes ingrained in what you do.

set aside specific times of day, days of the week, that work for you.

upside to running and body weight workouts are both are inexpensive and you can do them at home (well, outside for the running) and you don't need a gym membership. this way there also aren't obstacles to doing what you need to do. shitty weather won't stop you driving to the gym. you won't waste 30 minutes round trip getting there and back, etc. you don't have to wait for machines.

you just do what you do when you want. next thing you know 3 months have passed and you're clocking 5k's regularly, ripping off 40 push ups at a time, doing a pull up every day and telling your wife your entry in the Mr. Universe competition was accepted. the shtick possibilities for annoying your wife become endless at this point.

eta: i didn't start doing any of this shit until i was in my early 30s after basically devolving in to a trash pile for 15 years. had been that long since i'd done anything more than play pickup basketball a couple times per year. and i'd abused my body with booze, drugs and cigarettes... piled on the weight and thought i'd never, ever do anything other than keep getting fatter. running and exercise was way out of the picture for me until my closest friends were like "dude, you're going to die. we don't want you dead." and it hit me that i could do something about it.

am by no means a physical specimen, but am in the best shape of my life at 45. even if that shape is still somewhere between "not bad" and "a bit soft". working out makes me happy and it feels awesome.

i'm 1,000,000% in for you making this happen. you can do it.
I will vouch for couch to 5k. I used the C25K app on my phone and it was super easy. Ran 3 times a week when I could, repeated a week if I didn't get 3 runs in because of weather, and otherwise just followed the app. I hurt my knee doing something for my daughter and so my 2nd attempt at this program started in mid-July. I was on week 8 (which is basically running a 5k 3 times a week) by about October I think. This is from someone who hated running, still kind of hates running, and never thought he could run a 5k. I manage it by wearing headphones and listening to a podcast. That way I at least have something to look forward to doing instead of running.

I'm going to look into that workout routine, Furley. Twenty minutes isn't that long and I need something to do on my off days since I can't lift at the moment.

I will vouch for couch to 5k. I used the C25K app on my phone and it was super easy. Ran 3 times a week when I could, repeated a week if I didn't get 3 runs in because of weather, and otherwise just followed the app. I hurt my knee doing something for my daughter and so my 2nd attempt at this program started in mid-July. I was on week 8 (which is basically running a 5k 3 times a week) by about October I think. This is from someone who hated running, still kind of hates running, and never thought he could run a 5k. I manage it by wearing headphones and listening to a podcast. That way I at least have something to look forward to doing instead of running.

I'm going to look into that workout routine, Furley. Twenty minutes isn't that long and I need something to do on my off days since I can't lift at the moment.
for a while there i was pimping running to every and anyone i knew.

the people who followed the C25K program are the ones who stuck with it (some have now complete marathons, which i have not built up to). those who said "fuck it, i used to run/workout/ran in the military" sort of just went for it and got hurt, or just quit.

i will stand by the theory behind the program. start slow, build slowly, ingrain the routine. it gives a person a routine and goals to shoot for on a weekly basis without overdoing it.

and what appealed to me about the in-home body weight workout is that i can do it whenever, without having to worry about storing weights, carving out a space for a bench, etc. it's just a 10 lb dumbbell or other equivalent DIY replacement weight and the rest is your body.

it seemed implausible to me that these exercises would make any difference at all, but after a few months i felt overall much better. my running improved, my back stopped hurting, i slept better, etc. definitely recommend. again, i'm not carved out of granite or anything. not even probably sandstone, but i'm down 50+ lbs from my peak and have sustained that for about 10 years now without any swings.

at this point i feel like yoga is my next step. needed the flexibility improvements and feel like it's best for long-term as i age.

I manage it by wearing headphones and listening to a podcast. That way I at least have something to look forward to doing instead of running.
Before this year, I never really liked running for fun/weight loss - I used to go to OrangeTheory in the before time, and I liked that it changed it up every couple of minutes (running, rowing, strength).

But I think this has really been a key for me. I've been really bad about playing music in the background at home, and of course, there's no time to just sit down and spend an hour listening to music - but it's something I love/missed.

So in March-April, I would just play my Pandora on shuffle, and I was amazed at how far I could run when, say, a live "Can't You Hear Me Knockin" would come up (11 mins).

I've since switched to almost exclusively Grateful Dead (my high school roots), and of course, they've got some LONG songs, and on my longer runs, I definitely seek those crazy long versions out.

Anyway, I'll second or third the notion to finding something to listen to while running - no-name but well-reviewed sport (waterproof) earbuds and phone arm strap were like $15-20 each on Amazon.

Before this year, I never really liked running for fun/weight loss - I used to go to OrangeTheory in the before time, and I liked that it changed it up every couple of minutes (running, rowing, strength).

But I think this has really been a key for me. I've been really bad about playing music in the background at home, and of course, there's no time to just sit down and spend an hour listening to music - but it's something I love/missed.

So in March-April, I would just play my Pandora on shuffle, and I was amazed at how far I could run when, say, a live "Can't You Hear Me Knockin" would come up (11 mins).

I've since switched to almost exclusively Grateful Dead (my high school roots), and of course, they've got some LONG songs, and on my longer runs, I definitely seek those crazy long versions out.

Anyway, I'll second or third the notion to finding something to listen to while running - no-name but well-reviewed sport (waterproof) earbuds and phone arm strap were like $15-20 each on Amazon.
I changed from music to a podcast because the music wasn't distracting me enough from how boring it was to run.

I changed from music to a podcast because the music wasn't distracting me enough from how boring it was to run.
same. for me it was having every song on my ipod memorized and timed out.

the repetitiveness of the same songs, knowing exactly how long each lasted, etc. was annoying. podcasts are much more mindless.

of course, i ran for a decade with no noise other than my own thoughts and i think i prefer that to any other way.

When I make it to a planned cheat day next week I’ll have completed 110 days without drinking. It hasn’t been effortless, but it has been easier than I might have expected after a light switch moment happened deciding to do this for real. The differences I appreciate are not slurring my speech once, not waking up to a wasted bottle or can I took a few sips of before falling asleep without brushing my teeth, not getting too buzzed to skate well, having so much more expendable income and saving more than I ever did... I’m sure I could come up with more. Not risking losing respect from my partner or family is a biggie too although I haven’t been around my family yet.

At the same time I’m really looking forward to opening a few cool bottles and catching a booze buzz again next week, but I want to keep going with not drinking being my norm. All the self help type of material I’ve been using to support not drinking has been translating to other aspects of my life too, which has been good for my general sanity and various relationships.

Feeling the need to pat myself of the back a bit as the Christmas season has provided a few triggers for cravings. I was even cutting down on junk food before holiday cookies came around 😬

Honestly, I have no idea what I’m doing. I have never been in shape. I have no understanding of a good exercise plan. If anyone has a book or website, I’m open.

this looks really helpful

click "Bodyweight" along the top of the page, then a muscle group on the body and it takes you to various video clips with instruction.

Totally cheating, it’s not official until I have a regular wake up weigh in across the threshold, but after an 11-mile run this morning, for the first time on this effort I cracked 180, checking in at 179.0. I’m sure after water and lunch I’m back on the other side, but hope to return officially soon.
So this post was very premature, meaning....the last couple of weeks of December have not been kind (so much gravy and sweets....and a cheese fondue on Christmas Eve). But I'm trying not to beat myself up and enjoy the ride, not focusing on the daily number (which I know is widely-advised anyway). I also have to periodically remind myself that enjoying a daily BA stout or BW, even a partial portion in some cases, and "weight loss plan," are contradictory desires. Oh well.

I am enjoying the rain/ice-free days for running (outdoors) as long as I can.

So this post was very premature, meaning....the last couple of weeks of December have not been kind (so much gravy and sweets....and a cheese fondue on Christmas Eve). But I'm trying not to beat myself up and enjoy the ride, not focusing on the daily number (which I know is widely-advised anyway). I also have to periodically remind myself that enjoying a daily BA stout or BW, even a partial portion in some cases, and "weight loss plan," are contradictory desires. Oh well.

I am enjoying the rain/ice-free days for running (outdoors) as long as I can.
I've been pleasantly surprised at how little I've gained over the last few weeks. I was expecting a disaster but it doesn't seem to have happened. Hurray! Making a conscious effort to go for healthier snacks (a pickle, an apple) has probably helped. My wife's desire to bake all the cookies has not helped at all.

I need to figure out a way to get more exercise regularly. I've been thinking about doing couch to 5k but just don't know when I'd be able to do it given the kids' schedules. It would be best to get some kind of stationary thing for cardio but I just don't know... I suppose I could just muddle through a bit longer until I'm back to commuting on my bike.

I basically turned the healthy diet off between thanksgiving and, well, yesterday, and it shows based on how much muffin top is spilling over my jeans. I’ve been consistently doing 30-40 minutes on the Peloton 4-5 days/week, but it clearly hasn’t been enough to overcome the extra intake. Going to stress being diligent about tracking everything I eat for the next couple weeks to try to break the lazy habits I’ve gotten into all year so I can hopefully get back into the healthy eating groove. My first goal is just to feel comfortable in my jeans.

Q4 2020 was a self care train wreck. Stepped on the scale this morning and the amount of weight I gained was depressing, though predictable given my lack of exercise and my overindulgence on all fronts. My wife and I are both going to do a dry January (we both agree it's necessary) and I'm going to put in the work I know that I need to. My weight has been sinusoidal since college and I know what I need to do, I just need to do it. Posting here more for accountability than anything. If y'all see anything from me pop up in the DDT thread before February, please publicly shame me 😂

Happy New Year y'all.

Back