• The first DDT Glassware is on sale! Check out the announcement here!
  • Jerm has put together a LIF to help with COVID-19 relief. Check it out here. (If you don't have access, DM Nathan.)

Healthy Habits

guy i work with is perpetually sick. "allergies" he says. but he must be allergic to absolutely everything because he has had a raspy cough, without break, for the past 15+ years. every day. all day. a dry, persistent cough.

he says it's just allergies & he's taking medication.

he's perpetually tired. like fall asleep on the toilet, tired. always yawning. hammering energy drinks and coffee. all day. he's got a coke habit & sleeps like 3 hours per night (his words).

the guy is constantly out for this or that doctor's appointment. i don't pry, but he's constantly telling me and another guy about this prostate exam, or some other procedure. he's been in a number of car accidents, wrecked his back and was strung out on pain pills for a while. dude is just a mess.

over the last 3-4 months he has been in the office maybe 10 days total? he has to travel for work so it's not uncommon that he's gone, but generally not this much and for this long.

other work buddy says to me last week that cougher guy has contracted lyme disease.. and while getting checked out for that his doctor noticed a concerning lump or boil .. something. so they went in and dug it out. that wound got infected... and he got MRSA as a result.

in the process of getting THAT checked out... found out he had cancer.

now THAT'S a tough run of bad luck. fuck me.

guy i work with is perpetually sick. "allergies" he says. but he must be allergic to absolutely everything because he has had a raspy cough, without break, for the past 15+ years. every day. all day. a dry, persistent cough.

he says it's just allergies & he's taking medication.

he's perpetually tired. like fall asleep on the toilet, tired. always yawning. hammering energy drinks and coffee. all day. he's got a coke habit & sleeps like 3 hours per night (his words).

the guy is constantly out for this or that doctor's appointment. i don't pry, but he's constantly telling me and another guy about this prostate exam, or some other procedure. he's been in a number of car accidents, wrecked his back and was strung out on pain pills for a while. dude is just a mess.

over the last 3-4 months he has been in the office maybe 10 days total? he has to travel for work so it's not uncommon that he's gone, but generally not this much and for this long.

other work buddy says to me last week that cougher guy has contracted lyme disease.. and while getting checked out for that his doctor noticed a concerning lump or boil .. something. so they went in and dug it out. that wound got infected... and he got MRSA as a result.

in the process of getting THAT checked out... found out he had cancer.

now THAT'S a tough run of bad luck. fuck me.
After reading the first paragraph, I knew bad news was coming...but Jesus, I wasn’t expecting that much bad news.

After reading the first paragraph, I knew bad news was coming...but Jesus, I wasn’t expecting that much bad news.
this poor bastard got in to a car wreck a few years ago that ruined his back and knocked him out of work for almost 3 months with a serious concussion... while recovering from that he got run off the highway by a semi, rolled his car and wound up in a halo because of it.

i've known some people with unfortunate luck, but this guy.... it's like he was reincarnated as punishment for a horrible past life.

it's like he was reincarnated as punishment for a horrible past life.
Jesus, after that story you aren’t kidding. I bet he had a small beer and lifestyle related website that hosted a small but thriving community, before selling it to someone that didn’t have the users best interests in mind, therefore ruining one of the few things that brought many of said users happiness.

Or something else bad like that.

my Garmin Forerunner 110 (feels like it's pushing 10 years old.. maybe not) is finally giving up.

last summer it stopped allowing me to reset, so i had to wait for the thing to die so that i could start my run distances from 0.00. then the battery started dying pretty quickly. 2 days vs. 4 or 5.

now it's doing both those things + takes forever to pick up the satellite signal. sometimes it never does, then just goes back to watch mode.

and finally in the last week, it doesn't beep when i click the various buttons... nor does it quickly transition from one function to another. instead it sort of slowly fades from one to the next.

so i'm in the market for a new budget fitness tracker. all it needs to do is track time and distance. some of these new Garmin's look super slick, but i'm not spending $400 on one. looking more in the sub-$200 range.

any good options for that?

my Garmin Forerunner 110 (feels like it's pushing 10 years old.. maybe not) is finally giving up.

last summer it stopped allowing me to reset, so i had to wait for the thing to die so that i could start my run distances from 0.00. then the battery started dying pretty quickly. 2 days vs. 4 or 5.

now it's doing both those things + takes forever to pick up the satellite signal. sometimes it never does, then just goes back to watch mode.

and finally in the last week, it doesn't beep when i click the various buttons... nor does it quickly transition from one function to another. instead it sort of slowly fades from one to the next.

so i'm in the market for a new budget fitness tracker. all it needs to do is track time and distance. some of these new Garmin's look super slick, but i'm not spending $400 on one. looking more in the sub-$200 range.

Oh man, I had a Forerunner 220 that I let go on Facebook Marketplace a couple months back for like $25 because I hadn't used it for a couple years. IF I ONLY KNEW YOU WOULD MEET THIS FATE!

Oh man, I had a Forerunner 220 that I let go on Facebook Marketplace a couple months back for like $25 because I hadn't used it for a couple years. IF I ONLY KNEW YOU WOULD MEET THIS FATE!
oof

i've known for months that i needed a new one, but i'm so stubborn about spending money that i'll probably put off upgrading until this one spontaneously combusts on my wrist.

Stakem

Tômester
It has been a few months since I did any form of HIIT cardio. I much prefer steady state for its low impact despite taking 2x longer to do.

Decided to give it a whirl this morning and holy hell im bad at it again...

Using the water rower, 5 minute warmup then 20 seconds as fast I can go followed by 100 seconds of recovery rowing. So basically every 2 minutes working yourself out of breath and taking the remaining time to catch your breath while still moving, just to rinse and repeat 10x times.

I almost puked. Its been over an hour and im still sweating.
Muscle memory is real maybe so is cardio memory?

Another week has past and the HIIT sessions have become less dramatic. Although, my shirt was so soaked with sweat that I got brush burns on my nipples.

Seemingly noone else is in the office today. I suppose now is the time to take my shirt off and air these nipples out.

Another week has past and the HIIT sessions have become less dramatic. Although, my shirt was so soaked with sweat that I got brush burns on my nipples.

Seemingly noone else is in the office today. I suppose now is the time to take my shirt off and air these nipples out.
I started taking some HIIT classes at the gym I go to a couple months ago. After the first class my nipples were so raw that I practically cried in the shower. Then I couldn’t sit down to poop without slowly lowering my body onto the toilet while holding the seat with one hand and wincing. It’s gotten better for me too, but man those first couple classes were an ass kicker.

Early on in my Orangetheory membership (which is HIIT), I went to class unprotected. I did notice some chafing.

One particular day, I attended class wearing a white workout shirt (one of those....polyester(?) ones...whatever that quick-dry supposedly no-smell material is). After class, someone pointed out that I had 2 red trails (blood) from the nips down to the belly-button area. Super-embarrassing, and I've worn those little spot band-aids every workout and 5K I've done since that time.

🤣 are you familiar with Aquaphor for your nipples?

Decided to end my contest and weigh out today in case my OTF closes with no notice.

27.1 lbs down. % Lost would’ve been enough to win last year but like I said, there were some serious competitors this year, so...we’ll see. Hope I can keep it going now that the contest is over, and also if I have to motivate to run outside/do push ups and sit ups at home if the place is closed.

I got a Garmin Instict for Christmas and I love it, super easy sync with the app, no color face or anything but it does everything I need. They were around $189 at Christmas/Black Friday, not sure if they are still the same price now though.

Just set a work-from-home weight loss goal.

First 4 weeks of the contest I lost 14.
Second 4 weeks I lost 13.
How about 12 more before the earliest date I’m going back?

going to be difficult if my OTF closes, I’ll be honest.
OTF just closed voluntarily.

I need to learn how to run outside in the cold....tights?!

Also, going to need to rely on my anxiety-suppressed appetite to aide in the weight loss goal.