Great Music of DDT: Portrait of a Person

quirk6

✔️ DDT Verified
Kind or unkind, real or imagined, lots of songs paint of picture of a person. Let's hear 'em.

“The song was written because of going to see the film 2001: A Space Odyssey, which I found amazing,” Bowie told Performing Songwriter magazine in 2003. “I was out of my gourd anyway, I was very stoned when I went to see it, several times, and it was really a revelation to me. It got the song flowing.”

“Thematically, I have always dealt with alienation and isolation. I have often put myself in situations where I am isolated so I can write about that,” said Bowie. ‘Space Oddity’, the atmospheric tale of an abandoned astronaut orbiting Earth, remains one of the most quirky and poignant songs of the late 60's. This masterpiece has continued to influence society into the 21st Century.

I can't think of a better song that paints a picture of a person.

The Beatles have a bunch of great songs that fit in this category

This song deals with a time in Elton's life when he was going to get married to a woman named Linda Woodrow, which would have been a big mistake. In the 1991 Two Rooms tribute project, Elton explained: "I was going to get married once when I was younger, and I went out and got drunk with Long John Baldry and Bernie and John said I shouldn't get married. I knew he was right but I didn't know how to get out of it so, I just got drunk and went home and said I'm not getting married."

Back