Great Music of DDT: Drums, drums in the deep

Thinking on this more, and since the album last week or so is celebrating 25 years, I want to shout out Rusted Root’s When I Woke. Yeah I know we are getting away from albums here but the whole sound of the album is drum forward in a way you don’t hear a lot.

Drum Trip is the obvious drum forward song, but even Ecstacy and Send Me On My Way have prominently featured drums you cannot ignore.

Thinking on this more, and since the album last week or so is celebrating 25 years, I want to shout out Rusted Root’s When I Woke. Yeah I know we are getting away from albums here but the whole sound of the album is drum forward in a way you don’t hear a lot.

Drum Trip is the obvious drum forward song, but even Ecstacy and Send Me On My Way have prominently featured drums you cannot ignore.

I was thinking of this one. I was at the little music store on main street in my college town, The Big "B" Buzzo's--total hippy place, Buzzo looked like Wavy Gravy--and they had this album playing. I wound up buying it then and there. This was back in the days when I was still listening to Phish before overexposure flipped a switch to "hate" that has never unflipped.

I want to shout out the whole album, since it just hit 25th anniversary and I have been thinking about how drum forward it is:

The Stone Roses - Fools Gold

Would argue John Squire and Reni are respectively among the best guitarists and drummers of their generation. Ian Brown still can't sing to save his life though.

This heads into jam band territory and is about three times longer than it needs to be but some of you like that stuff so here you go.

Such a groovy tune. The verse is in 9/8. My buddy, who is a professional drummer, thinks this is hard to play. So there you have it.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned. Not only is it classic, but according to the internet, it's sampled in over 1700 songs.

Back