Gardening

I don't have a grassy yard, so this is like "between patio bricks" and the like. I've always been curious about solutions like that, but I have some garden boxes and trees right nearby, it won't hurt anything?

just don’t spray it directly in the beds. It won’t hurt the trees. I sprayed about a gallon of 5% white vinegar on top of the mulch in our garden area to kill the weeds. I’ve got a bunch of fruit trees and tomatoes outside of the beds... it won’t hurt them.

The other natural option is a strong salt water solution sprayed onto the weeds. But then it’ll kill the grass and nothing will grow in that spot. May be worth considering if you’re doing on brick.

The other natural option is a strong salt water solution sprayed onto the weeds. But then it’ll kill the grass and nothing will grow in that spot. May be worth considering if you’re doing on brick.
I should've mentioned this above but grass is one of my most prevalent weeds, so something that kills it is definitely needed. I've been concerned about leaching, but I suppose the concentrations should be low enough that by the time it gets over to the beds it won't be an issue.

Don’t be discouraged with the saltwater method. Lots of grasses, especially those like Bermuda and Zoysia, and without a doubt paspalum will only be somewhat harmed or bleached by the saltwater and will continue to grow and spread.

The fence line along the back of my property is overrun by English ivy, some English blackberries, and other random invasive shit. I started clearing it last night, and found some kind of non-invasive berries growing in there. Thinking either raspberries or salmonberries. Makes taking on this pain in the ass task a little more worthwhile.
MVIMG_20200408_183249.jpg

Anyone have any good ivy eradication tips besides chopping it up and pulling it out by hand?

The fence line along the back of my property is overrun by English ivy, some English blackberries, and other random invasive shit. I started clearing it last night, and found some kind of non-invasive berries growing in there. Thinking either raspberries or salmonberries. Makes taking on this pain in the ass task a little more worthwhile.
MVIMG_20200408_183249.jpg

Anyone have any good ivy eradication tips besides chopping it up and pulling it out by hand?
A shovel.

Opinion on using cardboard as mulch between plants/rows?

Got peas, kale, and kohlrabi planted tonight.

Not familiar with that. I’ve only used cardboard below the soil to keep weeds from growing thru and into the beds. In general, I avoid planting things that can crossbreed or whatever. There are too many to list, so I always have to look it up.

I’ve never used cardboard, but I suppose it’s fine as long as you’ve removed glue, staples, and any panels using coated ink. Do you have access to straw? If so, I’m a huge fan of using it as mulch. Just make sure you get the kind that’s had the seeds removed.

I still have grass between all my beds. I'm going to wait for it to go dormant over the summer, then cover it with cardboard in the fall. Then next spring I'm getting bark chips from a local spot that gives it away free & I'll put that over the cardboard.

Any tree pruning aficionados in here? I want to prune this plum tree, but I'm not sure how short to go. From what I've read online, now is an ok time to prune, but I also don't want the tree looking dead all summer because if I top it, most of the leaves will be gone. But I also don't want it to get taller. Thoughts? Advice?
MVIMG_20200413_124126.jpg

Any tree pruning aficionados in here?

My neighbor pruned one of our plums for us, but we talked about it so I have a general idea.

I see you're in Oregon... will you guys get any more freezes? I don't think you want to prune and leave the tree vulnerable to freezing temps (especially if that includes precipitation).

Do you know if any branches don't produce fruit? If so, trim those off. Along the same lines, if there are dead branches, you'll obviously want to prune those. From the picture, I can't immediately see any though.

General tips like use good shears and make sure you do it during a dry couple of days.

Finally, crush a bunch of brewskis and stand at the very top of the ladder. ;)

Back