Gardening

Part of today's harvest. It's nice getting in the dirt and trying to take my mind off of the insanity.
MVIMG_20200531_141041.jpg
Spinach and about a quart of snow peas not pictured.

Also, anyone have experience with eggplant? I planted these starts almost a month ago, and they're barely any bigger than they were then. Everything else is thriving. Never grown eggplant before. Any tips?
MVIMG_20200531_143917.jpg

Part of today's harvest. It's nice getting in the dirt and trying to take my mind off of the insanity.
MVIMG_20200531_141041.jpg
Spinach and about a quart of snow peas not pictured.

Also, anyone have experience with eggplant? I planted these starts almost a month ago, and they're barely any bigger than they were then. Everything else is thriving. Never grown eggplant before. Any tips?
MVIMG_20200531_143917.jpg
Good luck on the eggplant. I'm growing them for the first time this season, and the flea beetles have torn them up over the weekend. Going to hit them with neem oil for the rest of this week and hope for some turn around.

Good luck on the eggplant. I'm growing them for the first time this season, and the flea beetles have torn them up over the weekend. Going to hit them with neem oil for the rest of this week and hope for some turn around.
Stink bugs and leaf footed bugs are a current problem for us. Mainly concerned about the tomatoes. I haven’t found any great solution that gets rid of the them... just spraying individual ones with nicotine water or soapy water

So I guess the issue here is it's just not hot enough yet. Meaning I might not see much action out of these things for another 3-4 weeks.

So I guess the issue here is it's just not hot enough yet. Meaning I might not see much action out of these things for another 3-4 weeks.

Could be. In the south they grow pretty easily. I've done it a few times and even though the bugs get 60% of them I still have too many eggplants to eat.

Love seeing the harvest pics and getting a bit jealous of everyone rocking a garden.

Ive had my hands full with tending to the figs. Yesterday I set air layers on the trees that I want to have duplicates of. Our favorite tree I put air layers on every branch that I was intending to prune this year so when I prune them, we will have 5 new copies of that tree next year to put in ground at different spots and/or just have extras of in pots.

Main crop fruit is just starting to form and early breba crop look like they will be ripe within the month.

Things are crazy busy here with me working from home and now our new home construction starting. Next thursday the foundation is scheduled to be placed and that is when shit is really gonna be real.

In waking the property yesterday, I realized that on the east side I probably dropped a 50 ft section of trees more than I needed to which isnt too terrible as that will provide our house with morning sun earlier in the day and also gives me the space to have a hell of a greenhouse. :)

In waking the property yesterday, I realized that on the east side I probably dropped a 50 ft section of trees more than I needed to which isnt too terrible as that will provide our house with morning sun earlier in the day and also gives me the space to have a hell of a greenhouse. :)

Update: i actually measured yesterday and man did I goof.... I got chainsaw crazy and the open area is 170ft x150ft.

Whelp, if i cut a couple more trees down my kids could have an official sized little league field beside our new house... or I could have ~half an acre sized greenhouse/garden/orchard instead of somewhere else on the property like I was originally intending.

Not sure what I want to do now...but this goof certainly changes things a bit.

Current state of my garden.

Beans are just starting to flower, so hopefully will get those soon now that the weather is getting hot & dry. Should have some romaine to harvest this week, and new leaf lettuce is coming along from seed I planted about 3 weeks ago. Zucchini is also from seed, and I harvested our first one today. Trellised up the cukes last week, and have some minis on the vines, as well as some broccoli heads starting to form. Speaking of seeds, spinach is bolting, so I'm gonna try to save the seeds. Never done that before. Any tips?
MVIMG_20200619_122241.jpg
Planted nasturtium in a lot of the beds to help control pests. The ones in my tomato beds are out of control.
MVIMG_20200619_122143.jpg
Full view. Snap peas are a solid 8' tall.
MVIMG_20200619_122126.jpg
Zucchini.
MVIMG_20200619_115215.jpg
The borage is doing its job of attracting bees. I also didn't know, but the flowers are edible. They have a mild kiwi flavor. Very tasty.
MVIMG_20200619_122301.jpg

Overall, very happy with the progress so far, especially being the first year.

Current state of my garden.

Beans are just starting to flower, so hopefully will get those soon now that the weather is getting hot & dry. Should have some romaine to harvest this week, and new leaf lettuce is coming along from seed I planted about 3 weeks ago. Zucchini is also from seed, and I harvested our first one today. Trellised up the cukes last week, and have some minis on the vines, as well as some broccoli heads starting to form. Speaking of seeds, spinach is bolting, so I'm gonna try to save the seeds. Never done that before. Any tips?
MVIMG_20200619_122241.jpg
Planted nasturtium in a lot of the beds to help control pests. The ones in my tomato beds are out of control.
MVIMG_20200619_122143.jpg
Full view. Snap peas are a solid 8' tall.
MVIMG_20200619_122126.jpg
Zucchini.
MVIMG_20200619_115215.jpg
The borage is doing its job of attracting bees. I also didn't know, but the flowers are edible. They have a mild kiwi flavor. Very tasty.
MVIMG_20200619_122301.jpg

Overall, very happy with the progress so far, especially being the first year.
ISO De Garde dish soap.

Back