Fast Food Thread

Southern people:
What do I need to know about Zaxby and Crystal?
Zaxby's isn't worth your time of day.

Krystal vs White Castle:

8575e7b7-d080-48cf-9ed3-8e14a4483319_text.gif

Zaxby's used to sponsor the Heart of Dallas Bowl which is now the Servpro First Responder Bowl.

Zaxby's used to sponsor the Heart of Dallas Bowl which is now the Servpro First Responder Bowl.
We've had Zaxby's commercials here during SEC football games for a good decade and I believe the closest locations are in the Indianapolis area, a good 2 1/2 hours away. Great use of marketing.

No one told me that Bojangles had pimento cheese seasonal option. Today was amazing. Well, except that everything that sucked that led me to end up at a Bojangles, but the biscuits and sweet tea were on point.

We had more Bojangles today. I got to try the bone-in chicken from there for the first time. I like it a lot, reminds me of Popeye's chicken. I think I should have gotten a side of that pimento cheese for dipping though.

Krystal vs White Castle:
Mentioning Krystal put this hankering for sliders in my mind and, upon googling, we either have some fancy smancy bullshit sliders or tiny burgers (which are NOT sliders). Links to food trucks that had traditional sliders (cooked on onion... cheese optional) showed that anything that had opened had closed years ago.

tenor.gif

How the single Weinerschnitzel is still open and there's no Krystal here... I'll never understand.

Mentioning Krystal put this hankering for sliders in my mind and, upon googling, we either have some fancy smancy bullshit sliders or tiny burgers (which are NOT sliders). Links to food trucks that had traditional sliders (cooked on onion... cheese optional) showed that anything that had opened had closed years ago.

tenor.gif

How the single Weinerschnitzel is still open and there's no Krystal here... I'll never understand.
Frozen White Castles are available nationwide and taste pretty correct if you cook em in a steamer. We got them for quarantine. Made half normal and turned the rest into that patè abomination that looked like cat food and tasted awesome.

I was gonna say Phil’s icehouse has sliders, but I looked and it’s mini burgers :/
Yeah... I kinda can't stand mini burgers just because they're always super dry in the middle.
Frozen White Castles are available nationwide and taste pretty correct if you cook em in a steamer. We got them for quarantine. Made half normal and turned the rest into that patè abomination that looked like cat food and tasted awesome.
I've bought these before... they're okay... there's just nothing like someone actually cooking it on the flat top for ya though.

I'll need to stop being lazy and figure out how to do it myself. Got a long weekend coming up. maybe that'll be my challenge, lol.

Now I had Zaxby’s fresh (I need to lay off the chicken because breakfast was leftover Bojangles) and I only had Raising Canes after driving it home 15 minutes but so far I prefer Zaxbys. It may be the freshness, it may be the sheer amount of chicken I have consumed this week, it may be their heavy handed use of rosemary.

Now I had Zaxby’s fresh (I need to lay off the chicken because breakfast was leftover Bojangles) and I only had Raising Canes after driving it home 15 minutes but so far I prefer Zaxbys. It may be the freshness, it may be the sheer amount of chicken I have consumed this week, it may be their heavy handed use of rosemary.

Yeah canes needs to use vented to go boxes. Gets everything soggy when its steaming in the box.

I only had Raising Canes after driving it home 15 minutes
Yeah canes needs to use vented to go boxes. Gets everything soggy when its steaming in the box.
On-premise or parking lot consumption only. This is like getting a banana split and saying it melted 15 min later. Chicken tenders, fries, and bread get soggy in no time. I used to live right by that Cane’s on Westheimer in Houston and still wouldn’t take it home.

I don’t think it was the texture I didn’t like, but I’ll try it on prem at some point eventually. I was grabbing dinner for both of us on my way home from... somewhere.

When we do canes we split the 6 finger combo for my wife and I. How anyone would eat that themselves is beyond me.

I also add a couple extra toasts and sauce tubs since dipping the bread in the canes sauce is better than anything else they have 😆

I also add a couple extra toasts and sauce tubs since dipping the bread in the canes sauce is better than anything else they have 😆
I knew a guy who worked at Cane’s for a while. He was a fucking mess but that’s not the point. His first job was making garlic bread and that’s it. Then after a few months, he started making the dipping sauce. He had to sign NDAs for both and I saw the pics of them. He took it seriously and would not reveal the sauce recipe.

Im sure you can find them online now but this was the mid 2000s and things were different.

When we do canes we split the 6 finger combo for my wife and I. How anyone would eat that themselves is beyond me.

I get extra toast, slab some sauce on it, put a strip on it and stuff it in my mouth open face. That is among the best fast food experiences you can have. Just beyond good. Extra sauce extra toast every time.

On paper their fries are great but they seem to suck at cooking them consistently. Half the time I get floppy undercooked fries. The cole slaw is a throwaway gesture.

Last edited:

tenor.gif

So I actually made these last night and they turned out REALLY well. Used 80/20 beef and they honestly were 10x better than anything White Castle could present.

Unless you have a seriously cold freezer 10-15 mins was too short to get the patties really solid... took more like 45 for me. Other than that very solid results.

So I actually made these last night and they turned out REALLY well. Used 80/20 beef and they honestly were 10x better than anything White Castle could present.

Unless you have a seriously cold freezer 10-15 mins was too short to get the patties really solid... took more like 45 for me. Other than that very solid results.
I usually turn my chest freezer all the way down before making ice cream. Not sure if that is the same. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Back