Fantôme

Triple Gourmet was such trash the first time it was made. Im having a hard time resisting ordering one just to see what its like this time sans tire fire.

The other one sounds like a hybrid of Fantome Chocolat and Automne. Could be amazing but im also trying to talk myself out of an order

yeah i feel you on that!! i love Ferementery Form so i had to start another box but i didn't get any Triple Gourmet cause i'm scared as well! hahaha

I had Blanche for the first time last weekend, and while it wasn't bad, it just seemed more like a typical wit than a Fantome. I have another bottle though so we'll see what happens there.

I had Blanche for the first time last weekend, and while it wasn't bad, it just seemed more like a typical wit than a Fantome. I have another bottle though so we'll see what happens there.

Blanche is one of the saddest examples/stories in the declining lineage of
Fantome variation.

Bottles prior to 2011 redefined what I thought was possible in a wit/saison. Honestly, it was a top 5 best beer I ever had back then. Even Blanche de Hotton and Pamplemouse were borderline unbelievably good.

After what seemed like a 5 year hiatus, he then released several batches in a row. I think in 2015/16 we saw a grapefruit version which was amazing and then 2-3 batches (including Blanchot) that all missed the mark IMO and were very phenolic/yeasty tasting without the Fantome sparkle that made prior batches incredible.

I feel like an asshole for talking negative about Fantome but I really, really miss that little something extra his beers use to have that I just havent seen in anything bottled these last 5 years.

Blanche is one of the saddest examples/stories in the declining lineage of
Fantome variation.

Bottles prior to 2011 redefined what I thought was possible in a wit/saison. Honestly, it was a top 5 best beer I ever had back then. Even Blanche de Hotton and Pamplemouse were borderline unbelievably good.

After what seemed like a 5 year hiatus, he then released several batches in a row. I think in 2015/16 we saw a grapefruit version which was amazing and then 2-3 batches (including Blanchot) that all missed the mark IMO and were very phenolic/yeasty tasting without the Fantome sparkle that made prior batches incredible.

I feel like an asshole for talking negative about Fantome but I really, really miss that little something extra his beers use to have that I just havent seen in anything bottled these last 5 years.
Yeah I don't have an extensive Fantome history, I've had a few of their more common beers here and there but not a ton. I still really like the Saisons I got, they're still unique and unlike anything else I've ever had.

Afbeelding kan het volgende bevatten: drinken en buiten

I'm almost ashamed of how excited I am about this

I drank a Single Hop Amarillo this past weekend that was just fantastic. It was like a super bright version of regular Sur Lie. As compared to the Simcoe version I had a few weeks ago it was significantly better/more interesting. Excited to explore some of the other single hop offerings.

I've had probably 10-30 bottles per year over the last several years, but I haven't had a really killer one since like 2014/15. Is there anything out right now that can curb this streak?

The last really good bottles I had were Desert Ghost, Sante 19, ‘15 or so Printemps, and ‘15-‘16 Dalmatienne. I’m about 0 for 30 since then.

I’m a huge Tome fan and I know it’ll come back. But I’m holding off on buying any until I hear better things. Lately, all are overly phenolic and bitter, with no signs of funk poking through.

When was the last Blanche batch prior to the most recent batch? I feel like that was the last time a Fantome melted my face.
Was that 2015? 2016?

Back