DTF (Down to Fashion)

I keep seeing adds in Instagram for arcade belts, they look nice but reviews are mixed on Amazon

Looking for a nice, clean, quality non-leather, non-vegan-leather belt. Any suggestions?

: placeholder :

bought a belt from some random shop on vacation last year that i wear with jeans/shorts. hard to find a good one that fits my taste.

3rd year in a row that we stopped in a little shop that sells clothes i like. i've bought a few things, including a t-shirt that i really like, but i haven't been able to pull the trigger on a button-down at the store.

mostly figured it was a local brand or something as i hadn't seen it anywhere else.

saw a button-down i really liked this year, but they didn't have my size so i went looking online only to find out it's a British company - Far Afield - and i've not been able to turn up a store in the US that sells their clothing that isn't this one shop.

shipping from the UK is onerous. anyone know a retailer locally that sells Far Afield merchandise?

3rd year in a row that we stopped in a little shop that sells clothes i like. i've bought a few things, including a t-shirt that i really like, but i haven't been able to pull the trigger on a button-down at the store.

mostly figured it was a local brand or something as i hadn't seen it anywhere else.

saw a button-down i really liked this year, but they didn't have my size so i went looking online only to find out it's a British company - Far Afield - and i've not been able to turn up a store in the US that sells their clothing that isn't this one shop.

shipping from the UK is onerous. anyone know a retailer locally that sells Far Afield merchandise?

Looks the The Rake sells their stuff in the US (at least it's listed in USD) and it looks a ton of Far Afield stuff is on major sale. Looks like shipping is still a little pricey ($25), but if you spend $200, then you get free shipping.

It also looks like Huckberry sells their stuff: https://huckberry.com/store/far-afield

Looks the The Rake sells their stuff in the US (at least it's listed in USD) and it looks a ton of Far Afield stuff is on major sale. Looks like shipping is still a little pricey ($25), but if you spend $200, then you get free shipping.

It also looks like Huckberry sells their stuff: https://huckberry.com/store/far-afield

nice!

been a while since i browsed Huckberry and i didn't know of The Rake

nice!

been a while since i browsed Huckberry and i didn't know of The Rake
I just did a google shopping search for "far afield retailer" and checked "Free Shipping" to find a few more options (that I think are either in the US or have free shipping at certain minimums)

I’ve been having trouble finding suits that fit - either the shoulders fit and it’s too tight across my chest or fits the chest but the shoulders make it look like I’m swimming in it. And neither problem really seem like something a tailor can easily alter. So I’m thinking that means a bespoke suit. Does anyone have experience with Nordstrom bespoke tailors? Or a bespoke tailor somewhere in the mid-Atlantic (really anywhere between NYC to DC)?

A049641C-CD96-4F81-BA79-B0C41DDB54E0.gif

I’ve been having trouble finding suits that fit - either the shoulders fit and it’s too tight across my chest or fits the chest but the shoulders make it look like I’m swimming in it. And neither problem really seem like something a tailor can easily alter. So I’m thinking that means a bespoke suit. Does anyone have experience with Nordstrom bespoke tailors? Or a bespoke tailor somewhere in the mid-Atlantic (really anywhere between NYC to DC)?

Spier & Mackay is probably the best off-the-rack on the market these days. I would start there, and only go the bespoke route if you wanna spend just to spend. Suit Supply is another big name, but their cuts only work if you’re a slim guy.

I had a Balani tux made 6-7 years ago and it still fits like a glove. I believe they have a NYC outpost. Sorry, no experience with the Nordstrom offering.

Dieworkwear has a nice writeup on this if you wanna dig a little deeper.

Full bespoke is a big investment of both time and money. Many, many fittings to have it done right.

I would go to a tailor and get very thorough measurements done. Then heavily scrutinize the measurement charts on sites and make sure the shoulders will fit. A tailor can help with a lot of the rest (even if you have surgeon’s cuffs).

Agree with Layne that Spier is the way to go right now. I picked up an unlined linen/silk suit for a few events this summer and have nothing but good things to say.

However, their stuff is cut with wider lapels and slightly longer than has been in fashion for the last decade. Fine if you’re a bigger dude, but at 5’6 and 125lbs, skinny suits look great on me, whereas a fuller cut suit actually looks like more of a statement. It’s a linen/silk suit, and I very much know what I’m doing, so it’s great for me, but something to consider.

Does anyone carry Spier & Mackay or is it just their online/Toronto store? Their website has articles about suits in NYC/DC but nothing about actually having a store/showroom there and when trying to book an appointment it doesnt give a store option. My preference would be to try-on and see/feel the fabric beforehand instead of playing the buying and maybe returning game. I also dont know enough to know the differences between various cuts/fits to know what I would prefer.

Back