US - West Denver

Over Memorial Day weekend... arrive on the 26th, leave on the 1st. Staying at the Ramble.

Westbound is on the list, but TBD if we make it. Is there anything else to do that way? Besides prepaid food stuff, the only solid plans are Pikes Peak and (hopefully) Garden of the Gods on Friday.
And if you are in good shape and want to do something that you will immediately regret, you can do this:

We’ve done it a few times and it still kicks my ass.

And if you are in good shape and want to do something that you will immediately regret, you can do this:

We’ve done it a few times and it still kicks my ass.
I’d be lying if I told myself I could do that. Possibly, but my girlfriend nixed the idea... also takes a ton of time

I’d be lying if I told myself I could do that. Possibly, but my girlfriend nixed the idea... also takes a ton of time
Last time it took me about 45-50 minutes up and 90 minutes down. Going down is all loose gravel on a path full of switch backs. It’s almost worse than going up.

Totally sucks but when I was in there a month or so ago, you could see that they just were flat-out refusing to change with current beer trends, which was fine by me.

Maybe one boring hazy beer, no fruited berliners, no pastry stouts. Just WC IPAs, some Dogfishead, old barley wines, etc.

Again, thats my speed but (unfortunately) im definitely in the minority of beer drinkers now.

Shame, though. It was my first “pilgrimage” bar. Went straight there in 2008(?) from the airport on my first trip to Denver and it was always on the list when we’d visit but have only been there about ten times in the four years we’ve lived here.

Totally sucks but when I was in there a month or so ago, you could see that they just were flat-out refusing to change with current beer trends, which was fine by me.

Maybe one boring hazy beer, no fruited berliners, no pastry stouts. Just WC IPAs, some Dogfishead, old barley wines, etc.

Again, thats my speed but (unfortunately) im definitely in the minority of beer drinkers now.

Shame, though. It was my first “pilgrimage” bar. Went straight there in 2008(?) from the airport on my first trip to Denver and it was always on the list when we’d visit but have only been there about ten times in the four years we’ve lived here.
I thought it was telling the downstairs was just a mess of storage. I went down to use the bathroom and was shocked. We were there late Saturday afternoon and in an hour maybe 10 people came through… another bad sign.

This is why I don't open up a beer bar. I would just serve what I like and that would not be popular to the masses.

"You want a milkshake IPA?? Get out of my bar..."

"No I don't have 10 different pastry stouts on tap, get out of my bar..."

Pretty sure my business would fail quickly

I’ve never liked Falling Rock. It was also nuts to butts every time I went. The highlights of the tap list were Russian River beers I can get at home. I don’t like hearing about businesses failing but FR was a nah dog for me.

On one hand I liked that they didn't cave to haze/pastry/kettle sour but on the other hand by passing on the easy money they weren't doing much to give enough people alternative reasons to go there over any other bar. The last couple times I went I felt like it was just beer I could readily buy at any bottle shop and their cellar sale last year literally looked like a shelf at Mr. B's or Grapevine but with a huge markup.

I feel like the same is true for most of the older craft beer places around town. Last time I was in Freshcraft, which was probably two years ago, it might as well have been Yardhouse or any other bar with a few taps downtown.

On one hand I liked that they didn't cave to haze/pastry/kettle sour but on the other hand by passing on the easy money they weren't doing much to give enough people alternative reasons to go there over any other bar. The last couple times I went I felt like it was just beer I could readily buy at any bottle shop and their cellar sale last year literally looked like a shelf at Mr. B's or Grapevine but with a huge markup.

I feel like the same is true for most of the older craft beer places around town. Last time I was in Freshcraft, which was probably two years ago, it might as well have been Yardhouse or any other bar with a few taps downtown.
Freshcraft does have fantastic food but I completely agree.

Heading to Denver/Boulder/Peaceful Valley in early August with the family. Good Denver suggestions for food etc, anything for Boulder and anything slightly west? Is that all just small mountain towns?

Back