DC Universe

The third season of Titans started up on HBOMax. Three episodes are out now with new ones getting released on Thursdays. It’s off to a bad start.
I hated the Hawk costume so much (though Dove’s is worse) that I am glad he’s gone for that reason alone. I know Hawk and Dove were never the smartest two but holy fucking hell Batman, the abject stupidity on both their parts took it to a new level. Let’s just get on with Blackfire and Starfire since that’s the only interesting relationship on the show.

The new season of Stargirl just started, too. I really liked the first season (Wildcat’s helmet notwithstanding) and I hope this one delivers, too.
Wife was out of town this weekend so I ended up watching the first two episodes of Titans. I'm not at all familiar with the comics so outside of Dick Greyson's Robin, it is all totally new to me. Seems like a fun enough show so far. I had no idea there are now three seasons already.

I'm also about half way through the first season of Doom Patrol. It hasn't really hooked me yet but it is clever and all. Does it start to make more sense as it goes along? Hell, I can't even tell you at this point what kind of "powers" all of the characters have to fight bad guys etc. And maybe that isn't the point but I'm not at this point clamoring to watch it everyday.

Wife was out of town this weekend so I ended up watching the first two episodes of Titans. I'm not at all familiar with the comics so outside of Dick Greyson's Robin, it is all totally new to me. Seems like a fun enough show so far. I had no idea there are now three seasons already.

I'm also about half way through the first season of Doom Patrol. It hasn't really hooked me yet but it is clever and all. Does it start to make more sense as it goes along? Hell, I can't even tell you at this point what kind of "powers" all of the characters have to fight bad guys etc. And maybe that isn't the point but I'm not at this point clamoring to watch it everyday.
The gist of Titans is that it's a team made up of sidekicks and "junior" versions of the main heroes. This version splits the difference since some are clearly not teenagers anymore or sidekicks. If you're enjoying it so far, you'll probably keep on enjoying it, too. It's just so unrelentingly grim - it could really use a cameo by the Joker asking, "Why so serious?" If you don't mind animation, Young Justice is a much more enjoyable series that also features many of the sidekicks/junior members.

I don't know that Doom Patrol every truly makes sense. As the villain in season 1 can warp reality, it often felt like multiple versions of Inception. For me, the chemistry among the cast and the sincere attempts by everyone to make a family kept me going throughout the weirdness and slow pacing. I'm also someone that would prefer to watch a messy show that swings for the fences rather than something that plays it safe. The episode that really sold the series for me was the one with Danny the Street - it looks like that's episode 8. Danny the Street is unlike any character I've seen before and I loved seeing them on the screen.

The gist of Titans is that it's a team made up of sidekicks and "junior" versions of the main heroes. This version splits the difference since some are clearly not teenagers anymore or sidekicks. If you're enjoying it so far, you'll probably keep on enjoying it, too. It's just so unrelentingly grim - it could really use a cameo by the Joker asking, "Why so serious?" If you don't mind animation, Young Justice is a much more enjoyable series that also features many of the sidekicks/junior members.

I don't know that Doom Patrol every truly makes sense. As the villain in season 1 can warp reality, it often felt like multiple versions of Inception. For me, the chemistry among the cast and the sincere attempts by everyone to make a family kept me going throughout the weirdness and slow pacing. I'm also someone that would prefer to watch a messy show that swings for the fences rather than something that plays it safe. The episode that really sold the series for me was the one with Danny the Street - it looks like that's episode 8. Danny the Street is unlike any character I've seen before and I loved seeing them on the screen.
Other than Robin being in it, I'd only ever heard of the kids animated Teen Titans show. My son never got interested in it so we only saw maybe one episode so I didn't have much knowledge about the characters. Kind of cool to get introduced to all of these new characters I've, at best, heard in passing and from comic podcasts.

I'll keep going on Doom Patrol. I see what your saying about the family aspect of it and I do appreciate that. The weirdness is fine to this point but it is a pretty slow paced show which might be my real hang up with it. Thanks for the background and encouragement to keep giving it a chance.

The third season of Titans started up on HBOMax. Three episodes are out now with new ones getting released on Thursdays. It’s off to a bad start.
I hated the Hawk costume so much (though Dove’s is worse) that I am glad he’s gone for that reason alone. I know Hawk and Dove were never the smartest two but holy fucking hell Batman, the abject stupidity on both their parts took it to a new level. Let’s just get on with Blackfire and Starfire since that’s the only interesting relationship on the show.

The new season of Stargirl just started, too. I really liked the first season (Wildcat’s helmet notwithstanding) and I hope this one delivers, too.
The second season was so awful I couldn't even finish it. There is no way they are going to save this with another season.

I was pleasantly surprised by Stargirl. although she made some pretty stupid decisions throughout the show. She was also very athletic an amazing fighter out of no where with no background. To me Luke Wilson saved that show for sure. I have to keep reminding myself that this is basically a CW show.

Reactions: dan
Titans and Doom Patrol are the two shows I've been watching a couple times a week at lunch. I've focused a little more on Titans since it's a little easier to passively follow at times. I was totally caught off guard with the episode yesterday where Doom Patrol shows up. I haven't bothered to google it too much for fear of spoilers but which came first? The Doom Patrol series or their appearance on Titans?

Also, the CG tiger in Titans is soooo bad.

Titans and Doom Patrol are the two shows I've been watching a couple times a week at lunch. I've focused a little more on Titans since it's a little easier to passively follow at times. I was totally caught off guard with the episode yesterday where Doom Patrol shows up. I haven't bothered to google it too much for fear of spoilers but which came first? The Doom Patrol series or their appearance on Titans?

Also, the CG tiger in Titans is soooo bad.

The Titans episode was the intro and basically a back door pilot.

Speaking of Titans, I know this was covered but what a fucking mess season 2 was. Holy fuck. There were really good parts to it but it was put together and executed so poorly. Just started season 3 and it seems to be more of the same. It's like they are rushing to the finish line and they wont let any of the plotlines breath or come together organically.

The Titans episode was the intro and basically a back door pilot.

Speaking of Titans, I know this was covered but what a fucking mess season 2 was. Holy fuck. There were really good parts to it but it was put together and executed so poorly. Just started season 3 and it seems to be more of the same. It's like they are rushing to the finish line and they wont let any of the plotlines breath or come together organically.
i jumped ship when Dick deliberately went to Prison

Then he assaults guards, escapes, and in season 3 is working with Gotham PD and they aren't like "No you can't work with us, you're going back to jail because you are a wanted felon". Madness.
i jumped ship when Dick deliberately went to Prison
Third season is an improvement over the second - partially because of who died in the very beginning. They aren’t introducing as many new characters (so far) so they can spend more time with the current set of dumbasses. There’s only one main storyline this time around, too, and while I’m not saying it’s a good one, the show is more successful when it tells fewer stories with fewer people.

Man if you want to see some dark DC stuff (or are a big fan of John Constantine... he's pretty much the main character here) check out Justice League Dark: Apokolips War on HBO Max.

Man if you want to see some dark DC stuff (or are a big fan of John Constantine... he's pretty much the main character here) check out Justice League Dark: Apokolips War on HBO Max.
absolutely loved it. I was actually blown away at how dark and violent they made it

Browsing through hbo max last night and noticed they added Batman: The Long Halloween. Watched part one. Excellent representation of one of my favorite Batman stories. Recommend.
Randomly watched this as well last weekend with my wife of all people. We both got pretty into it and were a bit disappointed when we found out it was a two parter. I know I've got the graphic novel somewhere in storage so I really should pull that out and give it a read. Edit: Looks like part two already came out this summer on Bluray. Wonder when it drops on HBO Max. Edit2: I guess now. Hmmm.

This new season of Young Justice is a slog and it's taken me forever to get through just the first three episodes. The focus on Connor, Megan and Garfield kind of sucks - it's not like there are COVID protocols in place that means actors have to work only in pods or anything. I'm also over the constant Maritan pronunciations with an apostrophe in everything. Here's hoping things improve!

Speaking of improving, if anyone made it to the end of the third Titans season it... wasn't the absolute worst thing? I would even suggest it was pretty good - probably the strongest of the three seasons so far. They're moving on with a 4th season, too, and maybe that will swing back to total horseshit.

The finale to Stargirl airs this week. I've been pretty happy with the show still. The CGI is still awful but now I find it more charming than annoying (with the exception of Solomon Grundy - good lord could they have done any worse with him?!).

Multiverses...

so-hot-right-now-hot.gif

I believe this movie is taking place in the BatFleck/Justice League timeline so it makes sense after The Flash I guess.

First episode of peacemaker was actually pretty fucking good

I think this might mean that James Gunn is the best comic book director

I guess that’s not saying much
I was a fan all the way back when when he wrote Tromeo & Juliet. Total James Gunn hipster over here.

First episode of peacemaker was actually pretty fucking good

I think this might mean that James Gunn is the best comic book director

I guess that’s not saying much
I didn't finish the latest Suicide Squad movie with him in it, mostly because of not liking Peacemaker. Then I've been reading and hearing all the love for this show so I watched it yesterday. It's great through the first two episodes. I definitely don't get all the subtle details since I'm not at all up to speed on my DC universe comics/shows but from a casual observer stand point it works.

Back