Damn Nature, You Crazy

I get the concept but I don’t want to have to leave all of my windows open to get it to work.

And there is something to be said about going on the Nest app, lowering the AC, and having it at a nice temperature when you get home.
Agreed. It's not even that super necessary here compared to in Philly, but it is definitely more comfortable.

Ok. Those sound horrible

It doesn't pump in too much humidity and as long as you buy an appropriate system for the home it works well in a dry climate.

I have one on my house and aside from a handful of days in the hottest part of the year it keeps the house around 65-73F depending upon the time of day. It's a fraction of the cost of running central air and no issues with freon. The big downside is that I have to climb up to the roof a couple times a year to winterize and dewinterize it but it's a few hours each year to do it myself.

The house I grew up in was (still is) off the grid and in sort of a high-desert area, so 110–155° temps throughout summer were not uncommon. Since we’re off the grid there was no A/C (uses too much power), so I just sort of learned to have to sit in front of a fan and deal with it.

Once I moved out for college my dad installed a swamp cooler and now it’s reasonably comfortable indoors during the summer. Thanks dad! 😜

It doesn't pump in too much humidity and as long as you buy an appropriate system for the home it works well in a dry climate.

I have one on my house and aside from a handful of days in the hottest part of the year it keeps the house around 65-73F depending upon the time of day. It's a fraction of the cost of running central air and no issues with freon. The big downside is that I have to climb up to the roof a couple times a year to winterize and dewinterize it but it's a few hours each year to do it myself.

Has to increase the humidity in a home though. Is it noticeable, or not so much since it’s so dry?

We use swamp coolers here outside and they are almost glorified misters with massive box fans.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of something like that in a home. My FIL used to have a whole
House fan thing that you’d open the windows and it would suck the shirt off your back when he turned on this fan and blow all the air out of the house. Seemed stupid.

Has to increase the humidity in a home though. Is it noticeable, or not so much since it’s so dry?

We use swamp coolers here outside and they are almost glorified misters with massive box fans.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of something like that in a home. My FIL used to have a whole
House fan thing that you’d open the windows and it would suck the shirt off your back when he turned on this fan and blow all the air out of the house. Seemed stupid.

The whole house fan is a game changer if the layout of your home is right. If you have a big foyer or an open concept, you can make an 80 degree night comfortable without the AC. If you have a 1950s/60s split level like I do, not so much.

The whole house fan is a game changer if the layout of your home is right. If you have a big foyer or an open concept, you can make an 80 degree night comfortable without the AC. If you have a 1950s/60s split level like I do, not so much.

They had a split level ish house. Makes sense. I don’t think they used it often and I hadn’t ever seen one before.

The house I grew up in was (still is) off the grid and in sort of a high-desert area, so 110–155° temps throughout summer were not uncommon. Since we’re off the grid there was no A/C (uses too much power), so I just sort of learned to have to sit in front of a fan and deal with it.

Once I moved out for college my dad installed a swamp cooler and now it’s reasonably comfortable indoors during the summer. Thanks dad! 😜
155? I hope you meant 125!

Explain a swamp cooler

Evaporated air.

Big fan with pads that get water sprayed onto them. The air is sucked in and forced through the pads and into the house.

They're not bad for "dry heat", but are miserable with humidity.

Ok. Those sound horrible
Central Air. Some premiums are worth paying for.

We live in Michigan and don't have central air or a furnace. We did buy a window unit for the bedroom last year though.

I had never heard of a swamp cooler until this thread. Living in the humid Midwest all my life probably contributed to my ignorance.
I had heard of them but didn't really understand what they did until now.

Also a "whole house fan" sounds like about half of a whole AC system 😜

We had never heard of a swamp cooler until we moved here to Colorado. It works okay though I wonder at the quality of this thing since this rental is a bit of a piece of shit.

Also a "whole house fan" sounds like about half of a whole AC system
Assuming we’re all talking about the same thing, the idea of the whole house fan is to quickly bring in the cool air from outside. So, your house bakes in the sun all day, hovers around 80* or whatever. Then temps (hopefully) drop in the evening and you run that bitch for a little while with all your windows open to suck in the cool air.

It’s a great option when the evenings actually cool down (so maybe more of an Aug thing than a July thing here in CT). Had one growing up, but I don’t think it’s an option w my 3 level split now.