Damn Nature, You Crazy

NHC-forecast.jpg

My house is directly under the black line. This is going to go right over both of the major storm reservoirs.

143722_most_likely_toa_34.png

40-50% chance of 39+mph winds. So maybe we will be losing power due to lines being impacted. Going to be a not-fun night up to 15" of rain.

I'll be the one to ask just to confirm my suspicions.

Did Texas learn anything from the last time this happened?
Which storm? Tax Day? Memorial Day? Harvey? Imelda?

This happens with some frequency, although Louisiana seems to catch more and stronger storms than we do. To answer your question, there have been massive drainage and storm projects going on after Harvey, but those were on the decade level for completion. Some even longer. Army Corps of Engineers runs the two major dry dams, not sure what they've been doing as most of the work I think was to the Barker Dam, which is south of me. I live N of the Addicks damn. FEMA does have a program to buy out homes that have a history of flooding and that was super charged after Harvey as well, but only so many $$ allocated per year. It's a slow process to buy them, then level and return them to green space. The other issue is the Feds/County can't condemn homes, and a lot of people will sell out to private investment company's who turn them into rentals. THOSE people may be fucked if they're not aware of where their home is situated.

But it does need to be stressed, this will be through the area in 10 hrs. Harvey sat on us for 4 days and dropped biblical amounts of water.

The other main issue is where the water is dropped and the intensity. If it falls on areas that usually do not see this type of rainfall, like the tax day floods, there may be homes outside the 100/500yr flood plains that see some minor flooding because they're not part of the riverine systems.

The area should weather this one fine, as the coastal areas will get hit harder as the storm is stronger then dissipates as it moves inland.

Wife just called, her company told everyone to clear out by 3pm. Her boss sent their small team and said GTFO now, go home and get online.
Just started charging all the batteries, the Milwaukee system has lanterns that use the same batteries. It's just going to be a bad storm.

I always wondered what it would be like if a hurricane came right at Austin since we're so far inland. By the time Catagory 5 Harvey got here it was a glorified rain dump. Heck I went to Austin Beerworks that day for a hot minute because I was so bored. Didn't even lose power.

Still these dummies are clearing the store shelves here even though this one aint even close to us.

Donald Trump Whatever GIF by Mashable

Harris County approved a $2.5B bond for flood improvements. More was able to be matched to federal grants expanding the total $$$ spent based on several factors. Timeline for all the funds to be spent as 10-15 years.

Nick Cat 1, riding the coast ENE, SETX & La gonna see more than me. It's just windy. We need more water.

These things are so unpredictable.

We got like 5.5" last night according to my gauge, the neighborhood retention "lakes" are barely up. Zero issues. Pockets south and east of me took it pretty good though.

However, a couple weeks ago the HOA contracted a group to put sun shades on the park play grounds. They brought in some light machinery to sink the posts (then never finished the job 🙄), but it moved the soil around near my park side facing fence. The fence was wobbly yesterday and waving before the winds picked up much.

20210914_070640.jpg

Didn't last. It's the HOA responsibility, being common area facing, but still annoying. Glad it got knocked down in a minor storm to be repaired versus turning into flying debris in a major one causing damage.

OceanOfMead

Staff member
We got like 5.5" last night according to my gauge, the neighborhood retention "lakes" are barely up. Zero issues. Pockets south and east of me took it pretty good though.

However, a couple weeks ago the HOA contracted a group to put sun shades on the park play grounds. They brought in some light machinery to sink the posts (then never finished the job 🙄), but it moved the soil around near my park side facing fence. The fence was wobbly yesterday and waving before the winds picked up much.

20210914_070640.jpg

Didn't last. It's the HOA responsibility, being common area facing, but still annoying. Glad it got knocked down in a minor storm to be repaired versus turning into flying debris in a major one causing damage.
Glad you stayed dry this time

20210914_070640.jpg

Please, for the rest of us, send a few passive aggressive letters to the HOA. Those mother fuckers have a shit load of karma due.

Or flames coming from anywhere other than the stacks.

There's a refinery about 1.5 miles as a crow flies from us and on really dark nights it often catches new off guard because of the burn off. It will look like the entire city is on fire.
I used to work in a big chemical complex south of Houston, and when the petchem plants would flare to shut down, you could see light in the sky 20+ miles away. My first time working night shift, I called our control room to ask if it was safe to come in because I thought the entire place was on fire.

The site safety folks finally started blocking off certain roads during these flare events because if you rolled down your window within a half mile or so, you could feel the heat and it sounded like being inside a jet engine.

Looks like they lost power. In major utility upsets like that process often have to vent to the flare as part of emergency shut down. It's not much to worry about. Better to burn off the material into CO2 and water than just releasing the bad stuff into the atmosphere, right? It's why they exist.

(edit: it's in everyone's best interest to stay out of the flares. everyone tries to stay out of them, but they exist for safety. there are very complex issues beyond just environmental as to why it's best to not flare. but when upsets occur (and they do) or other process reasons to have to go to the flare, they are there for a reason.)

also, fucking lol

“You all felt the earthquake, right?” one man asked as he exited his apartment complex. “I wasn’t sure if it was just the brownies kicking in.”

FATC1TY

the fat, shitty poster
Those look like the flares which is a good thing. An uncontrolled burn is not a single flame shooting up

Was about to say the same. Just looks like flaring, which is good that they swapped during the earthquake and were able to flare it off safely.