Couple thangs

Nathan

Administrator
Staff member
mborden Jerm Thank you both for sending me pictures.

I believe I have tracked down the source of the problem. It's the way that the Pixel 4a attaches EXIF data to JPGs and the size of the photos themselves. Both photos are 4032x3024, and our site forces a resize below that size. It appears that Chrome on the 4a then resize the photos but re-orients based on the EXIF data, which is in a version ahead of the version our underlying hosting uses, which means we end up re-orienting it again on upload.

This large resolution is actually the same that my iPhone uses, but the iOS version of chrome doesn't use EXIF to re-orient the photo so it stays in the same direction I first took it.

I'm trying two things to try to fix this:
1. Upping our max resolution
2. Reaching out to our hosting provider to see if we can upgrade our EXIF version (if possible).

Hopefully the first will just fix this, and hopefully the second will even occur to make this easier in the future if resolutions again rise.

I believe I have tracked down the source of the problem. It's the way that the Pixel 4a attaches EXIF data to JPGs and the size of the photos themselves. Both photos are 4032x3024, and our site forces a resize below that size. It appears that Chrome on the 4a then resize the photos but re-orients based on the EXIF data, which is in a version ahead of the version our underlying hosting uses, which means we end up re-orienting it again on upload.

This large resolution is actually the same that my iPhone uses, but the iOS version of chrome doesn't use EXIF to re-orient the photo so it stays in the same direction I first took it.

2. Reaching out to our hosting provider to see if we can upgrade our EXIF version (if possible).

Hopefully the first will just fix this, and hopefully the second will even occur to make this easier in the future if resolutions again rise.
You da real MVP

The last time I uploaded a photo it worked fine. Worked fine in the past, too. Oddly inconsistent.