Cider Discussion

Here's a delicious Eden Cellar Series.

I tend to prefer dry ciders and Eden's semi-sweet is still in that range for me. One of the few clubs I've kept up with for several years.
This sounds basic, but Eden got me going on Rosè ciders and Wolffer makes a killer one.

The beers at our local brewery, Ola Brew, have been improving steadily since they opened a year and a half ago, but their ciders are still superior. Usually some combination of the following, all using local fruits (but I presume not local apples): white pineapple, Kona gold pineapple, ginger, tangelo, pineapple ginger, mango, dragonfruit lychee, and rambutan jaboticaba. The ciders themselves are nothing fancy, but the fruits make them very good IMO.

I still usually opt for beer, but my wife frequents the ciders, ginger in particular.

The beers at our local brewery, Ola Brew, have been improving steadily since they opened a year and a half ago, but their ciders are still superior. Usually some combination of the following, all using local fruits (but I presume not local apples): white pineapple, Kona gold pineapple, ginger, tangelo, pineapple ginger, mango, dragonfruit lychee, and rambutan jaboticaba. The ciders themselves are nothing fancy, but the fruits make them very good IMO.

I still usually opt for beer, but my wife frequents the ciders, ginger in particular.

What sweetness level are those?

What sweetness level are those?

Some of them definitely tend more towards the "fruit juice" side of the spectrum, but others (ginger in particular) are pretty moderate in sweetness.

My summer slammer has been Rhubarbarian from some cidery out of Portland. If Orange and Brew stops carrying it I will be beside myself.

And apparently it's "currently not in season" so if you'd like more for the moment now is the time to purchase it appears.

And apparently it's "currently not in season" so if you'd like more for the moment now is the time to purchase it appears.
Fuck.

Art + Science from Willamette Valley, OR. I tried them recently at a wine festival in Austin, and they are the best cider/cider blends I've ever had (and it's not even close). I rarely go too far out of my way for alcohol anymore... I would for this stuff.

L to R
Little Apples - 100% foraged crab apples fermented in used French oak
Symbiosis - 50% foraged apples, 50% Gruner Veltliner grapes co-fermented in French oak
Unnamed (?) - 100% Sauvignon Blanc so please forgive me because I'm aware it doesn't technically belong
Quince Cider - 100% foraged quince that was 50% keeved in concrete and barrel aged. This cider was savory and stunningly good

This is an idea I can get behind. 150+ arcade machines and craft cider.

That building they're going into has gotta have rent above $30k+ per month. It's right on the lake on the south shore of Downtown Austin.

o.jpg

Last edited:
Went to The Northman in Chicago for the first time a few weeks back after doing a blind fruited lambic tasting with the Chicago Beer Society at Dovetail, and came away super impressed both with the place and selection of various cider styles / producers.

61938646_3067733923238546_3485536002754215936_n.jpg

Notice the draft line at the top of the bar where they do long pours of Spanish style cider that was one of the most lambic like beverages I've ever had.

62355431_3067733973238541_6468966594616754176_n.jpg

After shooting the shit with the staff, the GM poured us another glass done in a more traditional long pour style. Apparently it's trying to recreate the traditional pours that would come from a large foudre that shoot out under a fair amount of pressure to create some liveliness in an otherwise still beverage.

As it's only a block or so away from the original Half Acre location I'll definitely be back when I'm next in the area.

Sidra (Basque Cider) is awesome. Definitely close to lambic in a way. Some brands now include a special cork to help add air while you are pouring it which helps the bubbles

That cork is a gimmick, learn to pour it on the floor for maximum authenticity

Went to The Northman in Chicago for the first time a few weeks back after doing a blind fruited lambic tasting with the Chicago Beer Society at Dovetail, and came away super impressed both with the place and selection of various cider styles / producers.

61938646_3067733923238546_3485536002754215936_n.jpg

Notice the draft line at the top of the bar where they do long pours of Spanish style cider that was one of the most lambic like beverages I've ever had.

62355431_3067733973238541_6468966594616754176_n.jpg

After shooting the shit with the staff, the GM poured us another glass done in a more traditional long pour style. Apparently it's trying to recreate the traditional pours that would come from a large foudre that shoot out under a fair amount of pressure to create some liveliness in an otherwise still beverage.

As it's only a block or so away from the original Half Acre location I'll definitely be back when I'm next in the area.

Can confirm, those vats of cider are awesome and damn tasty

Back