Casual Lambic Thread

4C4DDA93-FE93-42EB-B77C-073B9BDD433F.jpeg

Cantillion with no sort of special label or name. So good but in a terrible sort of way that it was effortlessly drinkable and I could have chugged the entire bottle and completely missed out on the subtle character that was all over this thing.

4BF350BB-D7B2-4AC0-B0C4-0C6C7872BB08.jpeg
lambic and fantome blends needs to be a more widely available and accessible thing. Just stupid good how both components come to party and make themselves known.

3076FF8F-A469-4F0C-A7AA-567F352F9ED3.jpeg
This isnt lambic, its dried out white fruit juice.

Thank you skrip

There is nothing casual about the way I am refreshing my email in anticipation of today’s 3F newsletter trailing their upcoming sherry barrel packages
Did it live up to expectations?

Also, the last few Zennes I've opened have been super disappointing. Like most 3F these days it's just way too sour. They really need to dial back the acidity.

20210811_182804.jpg

Picked up a couple racks of 12 in 2017 or 2018 at one of the BXL suburb dranken joints for 42€ and change.

Wet hay/leaves, damp basement, lemon zest, grapefruit pith, moderate bitterness on the back end. Taste follows the nose. Reminds me of my old Belgian farm-ish house years ago. Everything I like in a g(u)euze. Disappearing from the glass way too easily. I seem to prefer my Girardin like my Orval, between 3 and 5 years.

Ridiculous for ~3,50€ per 75cl. Paul

20210811_182804.jpg

Picked up a couple racks of 12 in 2017 or 2018 at one of the BXL suburb dranken joints for 42€ and change.

Wet hay/leaves, damp basement, lemon zest, grapefruit pith, moderate bitterness on the back end. Taste follows the nose. Reminds me of my old Belgian farm-ish house years ago. Everything I like in a g(u)euze. Disappearing from the glass way too easily. I seem to prefer my Girardin like my Orval, between 3 and 5 years.

Ridiculous for ~3,50€ per 75cl. Paul
It's the perfect beer.

IMG20210812202404.jpg

Although I do prefer them fresh. I'm working through the cases I bought back in January from the brewery, so very fresh when I bought them, and I like them less now than half a year ago. Maybe they'll pick back up in a few years but I don't think they'll last.

Really would love to try some mid 2000s or older Girardin black label. So far my oldest have been a handful of 2011 cork 375s I got fairly “cheap” secondary.

Edit:

My friend has a 13 cork 750 I’m highly anticipating enjoying w him at some point, and actually I’m now recalling he brought an 09 cork 375 when I opened a 2009 bierpallieters with him, and I think we may have preferred the black label?

Jean no longer makes seasonal fruited lambic, instead it’s all goozie with different labels to trick our lizard brains

Donald Trump Make Sense GIF

D02C9A98-0AB4-4637-A8E7-49D6D611F3CF.jpeg

Vig at less than a year old is as fresh/young as ive ever had it. And im here to say this was a letdown. I guess I was expecting more grape character than the vintages im use to but instead this tastes like a muted/diluted classic geuze.

ahh I figured, probably just needs more conditioning time.

D02C9A98-0AB4-4637-A8E7-49D6D611F3CF.jpeg

Vig at less than a year old is as fresh/young as ive ever had it. And im here to say this was a letdown. I guess I was expecting more grape character than the vintages im use to but instead this tastes like a muted/diluted classic geuze.
Was is highly acidic? I tend to find young Vig pretty acidic, almost abrasively so.
I’ve enjoyed older bottles better than younger (older than 5 years vs less than 5).

Back