Cars and Trucks and Things That Go

Blower fan in my Mazda3 has been whistling for the last couple months. I park it outside, under a maple tree. Looked at what it takes to replace the blower fan.

NOPE

Then found the method to vacuum out the fan from under the hood. Much easier.
tApjvIi.jpg

A few leaves in there, and all better. 1-0 for me.

Then I proceeded to change the oil and filter in all three cars. Broke my oil filter housing in the Audi. Dammit. 1-1

Win!!

I won’t lie, first diesel for me and I just can’t do oil. 89 bucks ( less than I can do it ) at stealership and I’m out.
Got fuel filters next. 80 bucks versus 220 at dealership. Think I’m gonna do it myself. Hate paying for shit we can do! Hope you get it figured out, looks like some tight work.

I had a GMC version in HS with a body kit and shit. Damn I miss that truck. Was useless for most shit but was perfect for me at the time. I was useless with it!

Great truck and style, good mileage, zippy too, and never had a problem Other than master cylinder and alternator.

This one runs terribly, but it's a good cheap truck and I've needed very little work to keep it going to and from work. The TBI system on this year is pretty garbage however. More useful than a sports car for going to and from work or hauling shit. It'll get a 350 sbc in the future though. It's way low on power for me.

Win!!

I won’t lie, first diesel for me and I just can’t do oil. 89 bucks ( less than I can do it ) at stealership and I’m out.
Got fuel filters next. 80 bucks versus 220 at dealership. Think I’m gonna do it myself. Hate paying for shit we can do! Hope you get it figured out, looks like some tight work.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Fuel filters on diesel trucks are made to be changed EASILY. In cold climates diesel gels so you take out the filter, dump the jelly, and pour in 911.

I don't change my oil because I don't want to deal with 5 gallons of oil. Not worth the $90.

Should take you a whopping 10 minutes.

Blew a transmission cooler line yesterday. Tranny fluid everywhere. Not sure if I need to change the cooler or not, going to get my buddies opinion (he is the mechanic in a body shop).

Just leased a 2020 Volvo S60 T6 for my wife to drive. Took it out for a little spin today and man that thing has some pop. Doesn't throw you back in the seat like my old Magnum SRT8 did, but it can go.

I also like the looks of it better than the other cars in its class. Looking forward to driving it when she lets me.

My e30 started misfiring pretty bad. 30 years is a pretty good run on a set of fuel injectors.
IMG_20191001_123655.jpg

Replaced all six and went to take it for a drive and the brake pedal went to the floor. Two of my lines burst. Luckily one of my techs at work is great at making lines so all new brake and fuel lines. The old lines were scary, they could have gone at any point over the last few years. I hate rust!
IMG_20191031_163104.jpg
IMG_20191105_154149.jpg

Blew a transmission cooler line yesterday. Tranny fluid everywhere. Not sure if I need to change the cooler or not, going to get my buddies opinion (he is the mechanic in a body shop).
My buddy finally had a chance to fix this for me. Went smooth, now I just need to figure out how much fluid was actually lost. I live on a hill, so it is tough to figure out. so far I'm at 3 quarts added. I think its close. Need to let the last added quart and drive back to the flat area to check.

Sold the Civic to my father who was looking for something cheap and reliable for daily driving. My folks had just purchased an SUV for my mother to get around in, but she recently passed and he doesn't need anything that big. His other cars are an s2000 (first one in the state, lol) and an SLS AMG, which is the sexiest car I've ever seen. Not my picture, but same model and color:

Since my mother passed earlier this year, my father has been buying all the stuff that she would never let him, namely cars. Since July he has picked up a '71 Studebaker Avanti. He used to have one when I was a little kid, but it didn't have seat belts, so I could only ride around the block in it once a week after church. He sold it to help with a down payment on a house when we moved and I was like 6. He's always wanted that car back, so he made it happen. Not my pick, as I forgot to take one last time I visited, but same model and color. It needs a little bit of work on the body, and I believe he wants to restore it to its original turquoise color (which I think is ghastly, but it's his so...)

Studebaker.jpg

He recently bought a '59 Ford Fairlane Hardtop convertible. I guess my grandparents had one back in the day. It is in the shop right now, having some engine and suspension work done to it, but it's pretty smooth.

IMG_1457.jpeg

IMG_1455.jpeg

He's been going up to the local Dairy Queen like once a month when they do the collectible car rallies. Good for him, it's been a long year after losing mom- they were married for 47 years, so it's nice to see him enjoying his toys and getting out talking to folks.

I had a GMC version in HS with a body kit and shit. Damn I miss that truck. Was useless for most shit but was perfect for me at the time. I was useless with it!

Great truck and style, good mileage, zippy too, and never had a problem Other than master cylinder and alternator.
A 97 Sonoma 4cyl 5speed was my commuter for 7 years. Bought at 100k, sold at 200k. Only needed an egr valve that entire time. The 2wd and 100hp probably resulted in hardly any stress on anything.

Somehow never got any rust even though it was in CT. Only time the complete lack of power really bothered me was when pulling a trailer. Couldn't maintain speed on the highway up hills with a pretty moderate load.

My buddy finally had a chance to fix this for me. Went smooth, now I just need to figure out how much fluid was actually lost. I live on a hill, so it is tough to figure out. so far I'm at 3 quarts added. I think its close. Need to let the last added quart and drive back to the flat area to check.

This happened to my expedition earlier this fall. Entire bottom of truck is coated. Line rusted through right at the fitting. Bought the special tool. No go, all rusted. Finally found the correct fitting on Amazon for like 5 bucks. Didn't even need the tool since it's for removal only. Pulled into a Walmart parking lot when it happened. Dumped about a gallon of atf right there. What a mess. Had to get it towed home.

Probably a cv axle, pretty common for that vehicle.

Ended up being the inner tie rod. Pulled off the boot and there was a bunch of rust. Must not have been sealed correctly. Cleaned everything up, replaced the tie rod, new boot, everything a-ok. Job was really easy except that the tool from advance auto didn't quite fit - mine was between 2 of the sizes in the kit. Got a couple of of shims in there and it came out pretty easy. I did use some heat and penetrating oil first.

Back