Camping

I would get the largest trailer that when fully loaded - your tow vehicle can handle. I would also get an anti sway/load distributing hitch.
When figuring out your gross trailer weight, don't forget to add the weight of All of your stuff, a full black and grey tank, plus a full fresh water tank. Fluids are heavy.

I paid cash for my camper. It suits our basic needs, but we want some additional comforts. We'd like a slide out for additional space. A larger shower and better layed out bathroom. A separate bedroom with normal sized queen bed. My next trailer will most likely be 26-30'
Good to know on the anti-sway/load distribution hitch. Will for sure look into that. Thanks for the info!

Looked at a Jayco 17' and 18' models today. Think we might look more into that route as the price was almost $10k less. Seems like the Forest River Geo Pros were a level up in terms of features but we're really not sure that all of it is worth that much in terms of the price. (Geo Pros had the fiberglass exterior instead of aluminum siding, solar, double size refrigerator, oven and a nicer queen mattress) Of all those things the only thing I think I'd potentially miss would be the larger fridge. And with that you can always just throw a cooler in the back of the truck. I really don't think the insulation is anything we will ever really take advantage of. The other thing that the Jayco had that the Geo Pro didn't was a higher clearance

The models we looked at today, fully loaded with fluids etc, were pushing 4200lbs. Having looked into our truck's hauling capacity, we're looking at 6500lbs so I'm more than comfortable there.

Thanks all for the information and chiming in. I'll update more, for the hell of it, and sorry that this isn't really "camping" ;).

Good to know on the anti-sway/load distribution hitch. Will for sure look into that. Thanks for the info!

Looked at a Jayco 17' and 18' models today. Think we might look more into that route as the price was almost $10k less. Seems like the Forest River Geo Pros were a level up in terms of features but we're really not sure that all of it is worth that much in terms of the price. (Geo Pros had the fiberglass exterior instead of aluminum siding, solar, double size refrigerator, oven and a nicer queen mattress) Of all those things the only thing I think I'd potentially miss would be the larger fridge. And with that you can always just throw a cooler in the back of the truck. I really don't think the insulation is anything we will ever really take advantage of. The other thing that the Jayco had that the Geo Pro didn't was a higher clearance

The models we looked at today, fully loaded with fluids etc, were pushing 4200lbs. Having looked into our truck's hauling capacity, we're looking at 6500lbs so I'm more than comfortable there.

Thanks all for the information and chiming in. I'll update more, for the hell of it, and sorry that this isn't really "camping" ;).

One thing to remember too, if you have the ability, is to travel with half tank of clean water, and when you get to a site fill up there. Be sure to dump the tanks on the way out so you aren’t hauling all the grey/black/fresh.

Anyone have any experience buying campers from Camping World? Called our two closest locations and they have a couple trailers we're interested in but not sure how high pressure they will be.

Anyone have any experience buying campers from Camping World? Called our two closest locations and they have a couple trailers we're interested in but not sure how high pressure they will be.

Pretty much like buying a bike or fishing pole from Dicks Sporting Goods. One of the largest dealers around. Keep that in mind heading in.

I actually think that tent camping is warmer than hammock camping in the winter. Ground temp is generally warmer than air temp, but I suppose it depends on the site.
Like anything, if you have the gear for it, you’ll be comfy. Here in the PNW it doesn’t get that cold, so my 0 degree hammock insulation set keeps me warm, as long as I tarp to prevent cold convection.

IMG_20190907_075119.jpg

Ended up getting an 18' (22' overall from hitch to bumper) trailer a week ago. Took it dry camping to Kings Canyon National Park over the weekend. Fun experience and the kids and wife loved it. Definitely a learning curve to learn how the hell to back this thing up though. Thanks for the tips and such here too.

We ended up buying new from a local Jayco dealer. We did our homework and did drive out to Camping World and I can tell you for sure it is just like buying a car. Haggle just like you would there and they play all the same games.

IMG_20190907_075119.jpg

Ended up getting an 18' (22' overall from hitch to bumper) trailer a week ago. Took it dry camping to Kings Canyon National Park over the weekend. Fun experience and the kids and wife loved it. Definitely a learning curve to learn how the hell to back this thing up though. Thanks for the tips and such here too.

We ended up buying new from a local Jayco dealer. We did our homework and did drive out to Camping World and I can tell you for sure it is just like buying a car. Haggle just like you would there and they play all the same games.
Congrats, man! Looks like a great time, and that's a good-looking Tundra, too! As a soon-to-be travel trailer owner (also looking at Jayco as a starting point), I would love to hear more about any learning curves. I just got my Tundra a couple months back, and I'm still having a good old time just parking the bitch, so I can't wait to be towing with it, lol. Please keep us all up to date with your experiences.