BIKES!!!!!

There is a handful of OG steel frame builders nearby, that include Retrote and Sycip. Always wanted one of Sean’s creations and he hung up or scaled back his work a few years ago. Found a nicely kept and equipped 2011 for sale at a nearby nonprofit recyclery. Had to scoop it up this Soulcraft.

49B0C516-BC23-43C9-8FA6-90A3652956BC.jpeg

There is a handful of OG steel frame builders nearby, that include Retrote and Sycip. Always wanted one of Sean’s creations and he hung up or scaled back his work a few years ago. Found a nicely kept and equipped 2011 for sale at a nearby nonprofit recyclery. Had to scoop it up this Soulcraft.

49B0C516-BC23-43C9-8FA6-90A3652956BC.jpeg
Sweet ride! I like the color. Those cranks look LONG as fuck, or is it just the angle/camera ?

How do you like that Brooks saddle? I feel like I'm always tinkering w mine to get it just right.
I guess I got it right pretty quickly by luck.
I really like the way it feels.

TMI, I never had to use chamois cream before on my old saddle ( the cheap one that came with my bike ) I chafe pretty easily with this one even after a few years of riding with it but it is comfortable. Not sure how to put it differently...

I guess I ride more and further now too tho.

With shorter days my ride window is at night so ordered a set of MagicShine lights. It’s been a few years since I’ve owned a set but the price, light output and construction is on point. Head lamp and bar mount throw enough light for singletrack.

I am severely out of bike shape and my trail confidence is lacking from when Whistler was an annual trip. Something to build on.

30AD9805-4356-43B3-B682-9F3D3199245D.jpeg

On January 1 of this year I weighed 270 lbs and had enough. After riding one of these beasts at work for up to 10 miles a day I'm down 70 lbs.

120 lbs of 36-20 singlespeed fixie steel, pedalling my ass off. I'm on vacation this week so I decided to dust off the rigs I had the last time I biked frequently, which was 2007.

Titus Switchblade. I just got this built up when my youngest was born. I've never had it off road since, just collecting dust.

Spare Parts Singlespeed. I built this one day in '07 because I was bored and was tired of looking at all the spare parts I had laying around. Should be fun cruising around on this.

I'm sure these are dinosaurs compared to today's bikes. But that's ok, they still work and they'll help me make my goals a reality.
Update: I made my weight loss goal of losing 100 lbs in one year in December 16th, a few weeks early even. Nearly 100% of the exercise was done on that Worksman that I ride at work. Lots of new parts were put on that bike in the last few months and a nice tune up makes it a nice riding tank.

I started using the MapMyRide app in July and it really helped out. My work shift is 6am-6pm whenever I'm scheduled or for OT. I show up at work and I'm on the bike no later than 5:10am and bike until 6am then bike during breaks. I'm up to at least 30 miles a day. Here's a screenshot of my end of year totals.

2471F86E-3E97-4F88-94C5-B9DD2E6AC834.png

Goals for 2020 are to maintain the same weight, maybe even dip down to 160lbs. Another goal is to start getting some miles in away from work. New carbon fork, headset, stem and tires have been ordered for my other dinosaur, a 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert with a full Shimano 600 groupset and Mavic Open 4CD rims circa 1993.

6B62F620-65C8-43E2-870A-A484CAA0E824.jpeg

Remember: it's not what you ride, it's that you ride at all. Happy New Year everyone.

Finally getting around to working on the Centurion. Before putting on all the new parts I decided to go through it and tune it up. Upon inspection I noticed that the rear wheel was way out of true. Upon closer inspection I noticed that the rear derailleur appeared bent inwards towards the wheel. And upon further inspection I found out that the frame is bent right at the rear dropout. Funny, it was in perfect shape 5 years ago when I rode it last.

So sometime while it was in the garage some fucking asshole (family member) hit it with a car. Would I have been pissed if they would have told me right away? Sure. But now? Well......

When I drop off the wheel to get trued at the LBS I'll see if they know anybody that is good with frame straightening. At least this is happening in January and not May.

Update: I made my weight loss goal of losing 100 lbs in one year in December 16th, a few weeks early even. Nearly 100% of the exercise was done on that Worksman that I ride at work. Lots of new parts were put on that bike in the last few months and a nice tune up makes it a nice riding tank.

I started using the MapMyRide app in July and it really helped out. My work shift is 6am-6pm whenever I'm scheduled or for OT. I show up at work and I'm on the bike no later than 5:10am and bike until 6am then bike during breaks. I'm up to at least 30 miles a day. Here's a screenshot of my end of year totals.

2471F86E-3E97-4F88-94C5-B9DD2E6AC834.png

Goals for 2020 are to maintain the same weight, maybe even dip down to 160lbs. Another goal is to start getting some miles in away from work. New carbon fork, headset, stem and tires have been ordered for my other dinosaur, a 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert with a full Shimano 600 groupset and Mavic Open 4CD rims circa 1993.

6B62F620-65C8-43E2-870A-A484CAA0E824.jpeg

Remember: it's not what you ride, it's that you ride at all. Happy New Year everyone.
Amazing! Congrats!!!

Got to break in my new tires today.

45 degrees, but fun anyway.

A0BAD3A9-3B51-4C1F-ACC6-76F1B8C59E34.jpeg
Picked up a ~10yo Fuji Team that's been sitting in a heated basement for almost all of those 10 years last weekend off of Craigslist. Tuned/lubed it up a bit and would kill for 45 degrees to break it in. Snow/slush/ice on all roads 'round these parts...