All Things Homebrewing

Anybody have any tips on working with coconut? I think my next mild is going to get coconut and cocoa nibs, and right now I'm planning on toasting some shredded coconut and adding it in secondary.
We've brewed a chocolate / coconut milk stout several times so I looked up some of my notes.

5 gallon batch = 3 pounds of unsweetened shredded coconut. Toasted at 350.

4 days in the secondary in a sanitized grain bag.

Keep the coconut and make homemade almond joy bars.

There will be oily chunks in the beer - if you keg it it shouldn't be a problem. If you bottle you might have some problems with secondary fermentation in the bottles.

Hope this helps.

Got my barleywine kegged up yesterday. Realized I should have taken a FG sample before I hooked it up to CO2. Looks like I'll pull a sample and de-gas through a coffee filter and see where it finished.

I'm thinking of splitting off some it and adding coffee, something I've enjoyed before but never done myself.

Got my barleywine kegged up yesterday. Realized I should have taken a FG sample before I hooked it up to CO2. Looks like I'll pull a sample and de-gas through a coffee filter and see where it finished.

I'm thinking of splitting off some it and adding coffee, something I've enjoyed before but never done myself.

I'm sure you saw this already, but pretty interesting comparisons of coffee treatment in beer.

I'm sure you saw this already, but pretty interesting comparisons of coffee treatment in beer.

Saw there was an article but haven't read it yet. I'll have to read that when I get a chance.

The presentation we had this month for our club meeting was on coffee. The guys did an experiment with ground, rough crush, and cold brew additions using the same amount of coffee by weight. They also talked with Mike at Mostra Coffee about his experiences with all the beer collaborations he's done all over the world.

Mead currently aging: (starting two new batches tomorrow but need to decide what)
Orange Blossom trad from 1.092 to 1.015, backsweetened to about 1.03. 2-3 months old, will bottle in October.
Barleywine braggot (maris otter malt, cascade hops and buckwheat/wildflower honey). 3 bottles of carbed, 1/2 gal of still. The carbed portion was great already, letting the still stuff age.
Buckwheat/wildflower trad (about 15-16%, needs to age more even though it is 4 months old already.
Black Currant and Blackberry orange blossom. 1.14 to 1.042, will be backsweetening to 1.055 in a week or so as it is pretty acidic. Very good though.
Watermelon session: This tastes great at only 5 weeks, but will need to stir before bottling, then agitate before drinking as some of the good stuff sinks to the bottom and it is much better if you just mix it up. Used real watermelon juice and simply watermelon.
Going to replicate my best batch tomorrow (black cherry, oak, vanilla), and the other gallon will probably be cotton candy grapes as I froze a shitload of them.

cheers all. Let me know if you wanna trade bottles or recipes if you have something tasty.

I found a good deal on a small fruit press over the summer and picked it up thinking I could make some small batches of fruit beverages. Decided to take a swing at cider and picked a lot of crabapples from local trees and supplemented with culinary apples from the store. I never realized how much fruit goes into making juice. 22lbs went into one gallon. Granted, the crabapples gave up a lot less juice per pound but still, so much apple.

I found a good deal on a small fruit press over the summer and picked it up thinking I could make some small batches of fruit beverages. Decided to take a swing at cider and picked a lot of crabapples from local trees and supplemented with culinary apples from the store. I never realized how much fruit goes into making juice. 22lbs went into one gallon. Granted, the crabapples gave up a lot less juice per pound but still, so much apple.
how did you juice them?

I've heard another way is to use a (new) garbage disposal to break up the apples for pressing.

I guess I could see that working although not the easiest to clean out. Cheaper than a food processor but are garbage disposals food safe? I believe the blade is usually stainless steel but I have no idea if the other pieces are food grade materials.

I guess I could see that working although not the easiest to clean out. Cheaper than a food processor but are garbage disposals food safe? I believe the blade is usually stainless steel but I have no idea if the other pieces are food grade materials.

Sorry, can't help you there other than I have heard of people using them around here.

Kviek yeast says hi.

Yeah, it gets the easy part with no sweating involved.

Bottle conditioning mixed culture beers can be so frustrating. Opened two saisons last night after two months of conditioning and clearly they need another couple months to figure their shit out. Why do I love the torture of this process.

Back