All Things Coffee

Looking for an 8-10 cup machine for when we have guests so I don't spend an hour doing individual pourovers with our Kalita/Chemex.

Want something better than a $20 Mr. Coffee. Looks like the OXOs, Bonovita Connoisseur, and Moccamasters get the best reviews online. Not sure I want to drop $300+ on the Moccamaster though as it won't be a daily item.

Anything I'm missing or anyone have any personal experience with something they like for this situation?

Anything I'm missing or anyone have any personal experience with something they like for this situation?
A while back Digita recommended the Breville linked below, which is 20% off right now.
Switch to the breville;)

This guy?

Yeah. I like the functionality, and pre-infusion.
Friend who used to own a cafe and is now a roaster and I did a few blind taste tests between the 2 and over 4 coffees we always picked the Breville. Which made me purchase it over Mocca.
Apparently james Hofmann likes it too:

Looking for an 8-10 cup machine for when we have guests so I don't spend an hour doing individual pourovers with our Kalita/Chemex.

Want something better than a $20 Mr. Coffee. Looks like the OXOs, Bonovita Connoisseur, and Moccamasters get the best reviews online. Not sure I want to drop $300+ on the Moccamaster though as it won't be a daily item.

Got this one recently--https://www.oxo.com/barista-brain-9-cup-coffee-maker.html. It's been really good so far (and looks great!)

I’ll chime in for the Moccamaster. I was planning to buy a Breville based on feedback from Digita but my wife surprised me with a Moccamaster for my birthday. I have been extremely happy with it. Makes consistently excellent coffee each and every time. I can’t recommend highly enough.
I also have a Moccamaster. I was also very skeptical of the price tag when we were looking for a new machine. While we were checking out the Moccamaster an older couple came by and said they've had theirs for over 20 years and it still makes the best coffee and they've never had an issue with it. Sold. We love the thing as well. Like lazerviking said it's so incredibly consistent in it's brew. Another bonus is that every part is replaceable and has a lifetime warranty.

TL;DR - Get a Moccamaster and then never buy another machine ever again.

I’ll chime in for the Moccamaster. I was planning to buy a Breville based on feedback from Digita but my wife surprised me with a Moccamaster for my birthday. I have been extremely happy with it. Makes consistently excellent coffee each and every time. I can’t recommend highly enough.
I have friends who have Moccamaster and it’s excellent as well. I just liked some of the extra functionality with the Breville and then the blind taste.

I think the key here is that Matterhorn won't be using it regularly. It is just me drinking coffee in my household so I would not buy an expensive drip maker for the 10 or so mornings a year that I need a larger quantity. If I have guests that really enjoy coffee, I just use my chemex for another round. When my Dad wants pot after pot all day long, he gets Mr. Coffee...and some Costco beans.

I have a Bonavita that I use daily that puts out very good drip. It gets daily use in the morning. I drink a lot of coffee.

I know a lot of people are happy with the various SCA certified Breville models.

Got this one recently--https://www.oxo.com/barista-brain-9-cup-coffee-maker.html. It's been really good so far (and looks great!)

I also have a Moccamaster. I was also very skeptical of the price tag when we were looking for a new machine. While we were checking out the Moccamaster an older couple came by and said they've had theirs for over 20 years and it still makes the best coffee and they've never had an issue with it. Sold. We love the thing as well. Like lazerviking said it's so incredibly consistent in it's brew. Another bonus is that every part is replaceable and has a lifetime warranty.

TL;DR - Get a Moccamaster and then never buy another machine ever again.

I have friends who have Moccamaster and it’s excellent as well. I just liked some of the extra functionality with the Breville and then the blind taste.

I think the key here is that Matterhorn won't be using it regularly. It is just me drinking coffee in my household so I would not buy an expensive drip maker for the 10 or so mornings a year that I need a larger quantity. If I have guests that really enjoy coffee, I just use my chemex for another round. When my Dad wants pot after pot all day long, he gets Mr. Coffee...and some Costco beans.
Appreciate all of the input.

Replaceable parts on the Moccamaster is a nice tidbit - I prefer things that can last forever. Breville looks nice but I'm not certain I'd use all of the personalization settings.

BigFrank is on point. I'm a 1-2 cup a day drinker and my partner does decaf so I was only expecting to use it a dozen times a year or so. That being said, it seems the brew quality for some of these is probably better than what I can do with a pourover. I wouldn't be against giving up my Kalita to save 10-15 minutes each morning but most seem to indicate quality is best when you brew a full pot.

There's an OXO 8-cup that has an option to insert a cone brewer for single serves so that is appealing but the 8-cup carafe is pretty small at only 40oz (who drinks 5oz of coffee?). That's not specific to OXO though, seems most coffee carafes are measured by a 4-6oz cup for some reason which I just realized yesterday after doing some research.

Lots to chew on. Not expecting guests until Thanksgiving so might put a few of these on a watchlist and see if anything goes on an early Black Friday sale. Will report back if I take a chance on something.

“4 kilos of coffee

giphy.webp

Back