90s Nostalgia

I never liked 311. Went to see them with some friends and there was so much weed being thrown at the bass player and he picked every single joint and bag up as they left.
I've enjoyed a decent number of their singles. Chad Sexton is a very good drummer too, so that's fun for me.

They were also the kind of dudes who, if you traded bootlegs with them, did 2-for-1s*, rather than blanks & postage^. Dick move.

*for those not hip to the parlance of the times, a 2-for-1 was a bootleg swap where you'd have to send two blanks (tapes or CDs) for every one they'd send back. So if you were trading for a show that was 2 tapes, you'd send 4, and the person making the copy for you would keep 2 free blanks. 311 bros were always saying P.L.U.R. (peace, love, unity, respect :sick:), but making someone "pay" you for copying a bootleg is not very peace or respect, IMO. They were the shitlords of bootleg trading, if you will.

^blanks & postage (or B&Ps), were where you'd just send the appropriate number of blanks, along with a postage-paid return envelope. This was the common method in Phish, Dead, and most jamband trades. Because most jam folks aren't d-bags. Most.

Also, sorry.

And also, yes, I once actively traded 311 bootlegs.
I could never imagine triggering such a hyper-specific disdain for 311 fans, but I'll admit I'm elated right now

This is early nineties, but it counts...still have a shit ton of these lying around in boxes...

1614108119430.png1614108101911.png1614108091281.png
The older boy has been getting into superheroes over the last few years, and I remember having these cards as a young lad.

So I thought a cool Xmas gift would be a full set of the ‘91 Marvel cards, the same set I had at his age.

4zbecb.gif

It took about a week after Christmas for him to pay interest to them, but seeing this was one weekend AM was pretty awesome:

63A4C356-89AC-40C9-877F-92B76B5ECE40.jpeg

Also, for nostalgia who remembers these agonizing decisions:

uqg3o0ono4t11.jpg

Because I am basic.
Given their popularity, N Sync, BSB, and Britney didn't have a lot of great songs. In particular "Bye Bye Bye" was the one worthwhile N Sync song for me. It's baffling to me. One Direction has probably 20 good pop songs to N Sync's one. I'm not even going to get started on CRJ.

🤷🏻‍♀️ Pop music was what I did instead of drugs.
That wasn't passing judgment on teen Mead! It was insanely popular at the time and there are a few all time greats - aforementioned Genie (I liked the What a Girl Wants remix too), Crazy (the remix from the Drive Me Crazy soundtrack of course), overplayed but I Want It That Way is legit great. In retrospect, it just didn't seem as strong or depth of quantity as some of the all time great pop music.

Given their popularity, N Sync, BSB, and Britney didn't have a lot of great songs. In particular "Bye Bye Bye" was the one worthwhile N Sync song for me. It's baffling to me. One Direction has probably 20 good pop songs to N Sync's one. I'm not even going to get started on CRJ.

I always found it interesting that we all just accepted the fact that BSB's first hit was them telling us they're back.

OceanOfMead

Staff member
That wasn't passing judgment on teen Mead! It was insanely popular at the time and there are a few all time greats - aforementioned Genie (I liked the What a Girl Wants remix too), Crazy (the remix from the Drive Me Crazy soundtrack of course), overplayed but I Want It That Way is legit great. In retrospect, it just didn't seem as strong or depth of quantity as some of the all time great pop music.
Oh judge away. That is the extent of my defense. I still enjoy the hell out of NSYNC, 5ive, Spice Girls, LFO, Britney, Christina, and some other obscure stuff. But most of it is not objectively good.