90s Nostalgia

Graduated HS in '87
giphy-downsized-large.gif

We were IN high school together, but you were an upper classman when I was just a freshie.
Met my now wife in college in '97.
Same - though I was a townie at that point, having graduated and found a job in my college town.

Our computer had Dial-Up.

As did mine....as an adult, in my own apartment.

Layne thanks for the 🤮 react. You have been randomly selected for 30 days of 311 quotes.

Nathan can you please PM his cell phone.
Admittedly, most of my exposure to 311 was in the early 2000s. Probably Soundsystem at the end of 99 forward.

My emoji really had more to do with the guys back then who were very into 311. They were definitely the “hey, it’s super dry out here this week, so it’s gonna have to be $70 for the eighth” kinda dudes. 🤷‍♂️

I briefly dated a girl who had the prize Guts Aggro Craig piece in her dorm room.

That was the coolest part about her.
I had a friend in high school that had one of those.

He was a gigantic kid on the football team who happened to be Jewish so they put him on Guts International under Israel.

Dude was from Pembroke Pines, I didn't get it, lol.

To those still listening to 311, does the whiny guy still rap? "Down" has aged horribly.

not nearly as much...mostly singing

Doug Martinez (whiny rap guy) comes in around the 1:55 min mark in this song for example:

And he kicks things off in this song:

My emoji really had more to do with the guys back then who were very into 311. They were definitely the “hey, it’s super dry out here this week, so it’s gonna have to be $70 for the eighth” kinda dudes. 🤷‍♂️

They were also the kind of dudes who, if you traded bootlegs with them, did 2-for-1s*, rather than blanks & postage^. Dick move.

*for those not hip to the parlance of the times, a 2-for-1 was a bootleg swap where you'd have to send two blanks (tapes or CDs) for every one they'd send back. So if you were trading for a show that was 2 tapes, you'd send 4, and the person making the copy for you would keep 2 free blanks. 311 bros were always saying P.L.U.R. (peace, love, unity, respect :sick:), but making someone "pay" you for copying a bootleg is not very peace or respect, IMO. They were the shitlords of bootleg trading, if you will.

^blanks & postage (or B&Ps), were where you'd just send the appropriate number of blanks, along with a postage-paid return envelope. This was the common method in Phish, Dead, and most jamband trades. Because most jam folks aren't d-bags. Most.

Also, sorry.

And also, yes, I once actively traded 311 bootlegs.

Last edited: